WHAT IS A MENTOR?

Mentoring involves working with a writer one-on-one to focus on your story

Mentoring involves working with a writer one-on-one to focus on your story. They are tasked with a number of things, including providing expert advice, suggestions, and potential revisions, helping you establish and meet writing goals and providing a safe place for you to ask questions. Mentors are positive reinforcers of good writing habits and can help to serve as a personal cheerleader for your work. Mentors are not intended to serve as substitutes for editors, agents, legal representatives, or other industry professionals, though sometimes they can overlap.

In choosing a mentor, there are many things to consider, especially with the WattPairs Mentorship Challenge where you only get one submission! Make sure you do the following in order to prepare yourself for the correct mentor. Note: if a mentor thinks your submission would be a better fit with another individual, they may send you a note to request to transfer your story.

➵ Identify the issues you are seeking help for.

➵ Identify your primary genre and what mentors provide service in that area.

➵ Review the potential mentor's work and style.

➵ Ensure your manuscript meets the submission protocols.

➵ Provide an accurate summary or synopsis - or both!

➵ Ask lots of questions to see who may be the best fit for your project.

If you have questions for a mentor individually, please feel free to contact that team member via Wattpad DM. Questions about the running of the contest, administration issues, etc., should all go through TeaNHeartache