XXIII: Our Undoing

The carriage was silent as it made its way to the Kingdom of Servilia, carrying an immortal Queen, a sorcerer, a captain, and two mortal humans, yet none of them hadn't a thing to say. The words Adelaide had carried on from Dark echoed in their minds. 'It isn't safe in the castle anymore. What could that even mean?

“Perhaps there's a traitor in the castle,” Adelaide pondered, breaking the silence.

“And who would that be?” Asked Seán.

“One of those two, maybe.” Nadia gestures to Caitlyn and Mark, who sit across from them.

“Oh come on,” Caitlyn groaned. “What else do we need to prove that we're not out kill Adelaide?”

Nadia replied. “Do what everyone does—” Adelaide held out her hand. “—Kiss her ring.”

“Yeah, I'm not doing that.”

Adelaide let her hand rest in her lap with a soft chuckle. “I wouldn't ask you to. It is a form of public humiliation” She inhaled audibly. “We are not going back.”

Seán leaned forward. “Come again?”

“I'm with Seán.” Nadia stated. “Why?”

“If what Dark says is true, and the castle is no longer safe, then we cannot possibly go back.”

“Adelaide we live there,” Mark reminded. “We can't leave. And you definitely can't just up and disappear.”

Adelaide straightened her posture, growing regal. “Dark plans on telling us what occurred between him and the King. And if whatever that may be was so critical or detrimental that Gregory decided that banishing Dark when he opposed was the only solution, then I'm sure the un-rightful heir and a few others turning up missing is the least of his worries.”

“Then where will we stay?” Asked Mark. Adelaide sat back, thinking. For minutes there was only the sound of hoofbeats.

“If Dark's castle isn't secure, we could always travel to the summer castle.”

“The summer castle?” Nadia repeated. “That hasn't be occupied for years.”

“Which is why It'd be ideal to take shelter there.” Seán affirmed. “That's clever, Adelaide.”

“I try.”

There was silence once more, but it was transient.

“I have a question,” Caitlyn peeked up. “For you, Nadia.”

Nadia looked puzzled. “And what's that?”

“You're not human,” Caitlyn stated.

“Correct,” Nadia affirmed.

“But you're not a demon either.”

“Correct again. Is there a question?”

“If you're not human, and not demon… what are you?”

Seán raised his eyebrows. “I don't even know the answer to that one.”

Everyone's eyes landed on Nadia, who was staring at the ceiling of the carriage. She exhaled. “I come from a very unusual line… I've always been told stories of Donovan, the Lion God. And we, his children, have inherited his blood, his spirit… we have the strength, speed, smell, eyesight, taste, and insatious appetite as a lion. And, though I choose not to, I can shapeshift into one.”

“Why don't you choose to?” Mark asked. Nadia casted her eyes downward.

“That's something I don't discuss.”

The sky grew darker and darker until it was pitch black. On the horizon sat an intimidatingly fierce castle that touched the sky. Adelaide leaned her head out the window. “I never had the pleasure of seeing Dark's castle in person. It's—”

“Pointy,” Mark stated. “Very vampire-esque.”

“Don't be ridiculous, Mark, vampires don't live in castles. They reside in mansions.”

“You learn something new every day.”

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

“Your castle is, well, to put it harshly, terrifying.” Adelaide took Dark's hand as they exited the carriage, Nadia, Caitlyn, Mark and Seán followed close behind.

“A terrifying King needs a terrifying home,” he said. He nodded respectfully to everyone, including Mark.

“I refuse to believe that.” A soldier lifted a heavy velvet case off of the hood of the carriage. “Oh, I brought you a gift.” She took the case from the soldier's hands. “You left it at the castle, and I felt it would've been a waste of a good weapon.”

“The Scythe I presume?”

“You'd presume correct. Now, I believe we are owed an explanation?”

“Hey, Red.” Anti leaned against the carriage nonchalantly.

Nadia scoffed. “Of course you're here.”

“Of course I'm here,” he echoed with a smile.

“Follow me.” Dark led the group up and through the castle and into his office. He shut the door, locking it behind him. “I'm not going to beat around the bush, as they say. King Gregory plans to empower the Devil's Heart.”

There were audible gasps, everyone in the room share worried glances.

“I don't understand,” said Mark. “What is the Devil's Heart?”

“The Devil's heart is the eighth relic. It's more powerful than the other seven combined.”

“What can it do?” Caitlyn asked.

This time, Seán answered. “It has the power to do unspeakable damage. Over a hundred years ago, when the original Eight wielded the Relics, Dedericus went mad with power.”

Dark cut in. “The Devil's Heart speaks to your needs, your wants, promises you your every heart's desire. But not the good or the righteous desires. It's called the Devil's Heart for a reason. And with Gregory's gift of chaos manipulation, there's no telling what he'd do.”

“How does he plan to empower it?” Nadia questioned.

“That damn ring need sacrifices. A lot of sacrifices,” spoke Anti. “A century ago, Dedericus sacrificed an entire country, and now…”

“The King plans on sacrificing Servilia, Vorena and Leca? All of Ardon?” Adelaide gasps. “What will he gain from this?”

“Let me count the ways, Girly.” Anti ticks off the reasons on his fingers. “unrivaled power, the ability to conquer the other kingdoms, the ability to conquer the world, the ability to wage wars as he sees fit. And nobody will be able to stop him, cause we'll all be dead.”

“What do you mean?” Nadia asked warily.

“Not only does the Devil's Heart require a country's worth of mortal lives,” Dark started. “it also needs the seven lives of those who wield the seven remaining relics.”

Caitlyn sits down on a nearby sofa. “Us.”