XXVIII: A Heart to Heart Part Two

A while later in the evening Anti walked into Dark's study to find him searching through the books available on the bookshelf. He was looking for something, but Anti wasn't sure what.

"What're you looking for?" Anti asked.

Dark looked up from whatever book he was reading and closed it, abruptly yet casually. "Anything to distract my mind from the obvious."

"The ring," Anti confirmed with a sigh. "I think it's been on everyone's minds; I had to cut Nadia's hair off because of it. Speaking of which, have you seen any prisoners, or whatever, with red hair. Like, in your prison or Gregory's?"

Dark cocked his head to the side. "not that I can recall. Why do you ask?"

Anti shrugged nonchalantly, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "Just a thing I'm doing for a friend."

"Would this friend be a redhead shapeshifter, perhaps?"

"I'm not confirming or denying that."

Dark crossed his arms. "Despite all your jokes, you like her, don't you? Or at least care about her enough to look for people she cares about."

Anti laughs awkwardly and starts back up. "That's stupid. We both know demons don't care for people the way humans do." Still facing Dark Anti reached behind him and opens the door. With one last "you're crazy," Anti finger guns his way out of the conversation.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Adelaide couldn't get the sight of all those people, those soulless husks laying lifeless on the floor, out of her head. Even trying to sidetrack herself by reading her favorite book-Alice's Adventures in Wonderland-couldn't fully chase away the ever growing pit in her stomach. Sighing, Adelaide closes the book and lays back on the bed, staring at the black ceiling. There was a knock on the door.

"You may enter," she spoke. She had no energy to get up. The door opened and she took a guess at who entered. "Hello, Dark."

"Hello, Adelaide," he replied. Adelaide felt the bed sink slightly by her feet and she guessed he had sat down.

She then remembered how Dark had drafted and sent a letter to King Gregory. It had said that no one wants to fight a bloody battle and we'd be willing to make a bargain of some kind; those were Adelaide's words, for Dark would be perfectly happy to see blood spill.

"Any news?" She asked.

"Yes, actually," Dark replied.

"Well?"

"I'm Afraid your request for no bloodshed has been denied. We leave tomorrow and we meet on Demon's Field." Demon's Field was where the Millennial Wars was fought. It's said to be haunted with the souls of the soldiers slain there. No one travels to Demon's Field unless there's a good reason. "It'll only be us; seven against one."

Adelaide pushed herself up. "Do you think we'll survive? Sure there's seven of us but..."

"I am... cautiously optimistic. Not because I truly believe it, but because I have to be. Your enemies can sense when you doubt yourself."

"So if you convince yourself that you can succeed, your enemies will be convinced, too?"

"Something like that."

Adelaide eyed her hands and counts her fingers, a nervous habit she picked up as a child. "But," Dark began. "If one of us were unfortunate enough to get killed-"

Adelaide looked at Dark with bewilderment in her eyes. "What happened to being cautiously optimistic?"

"The thought was transient. Adelaide, we have to face the facts-"

Adelaide stood abruptly. "No, we don't. We don't have to face the facts. If we just stay, here, oblivious, ignorant to everything that's happening, maybe we-"

Dark stood too. "More and more people are being killed everyday we don't do anything."

"Why do you care?" She demanded. She felt her eyes well up with tears and she didn't know why, but she couldn't let you know now. "Please, implore me. Explain to me why those pathetic, insignificant humans lives are worth more than my life? Or Seán's? Or yours?"

Dark's eyes narrowed, not in anger, in concern. "Adelaide, what has gotten into you."

Adelaide's lip quivered as she hesitantly took Dark's face in her hands. "This is going to sound off coming from me because I am not the most lovey-dovey person, but, I don't want to lose you or anyone else."

Dark placed his hands on hers. "My dear, you will not lose me now or anytime soon."

"You say that, but then tomorrow, when we're out there, facing certain death, you might feel like playing hero. And then..."

Dark's expression was solemn and earnest. "I assure you, that if I do feel the need to 'play hero' I'll do my damnedest to come home with you." and then, Adelaide did the simplest thing in the world. She leaned in and kissed him, and the world cracked open.

If they were to die tomorrow, they would make the most of tonight.