Chapter 43

;)

Grayson POV:

Lua's eyes were hollow I stared into them, my breathing hard and uneven and when she looked up to meet mine, a blast of rage and sorrow whirled within me; as I watched those night-like eyes shine with sudden unshed tears. 

The wrath magnified, into something so monstrous and wild, I wasn't sure if I could control myself enough not to teleport into the Lunar Kingdom and slaughter the king and queen for everything they had done to the person standing in front of me. 

The images I saw, the things that I heard and felt when I was holding Lua's hand in that room; I shudder ran through me, as my hands tightened on her shoulder; a pit yawning beneath me, whilst I realised the abuse she had gone through before I had gotten to her, everything she hid from everyone. 

My mate. My mate. My mate. 

The words were a chant in my head, a beating of drums that thrummed through my body, reaching to the tips of my hair. Her violet eyes a beckoning, her voice a call. Everything in me wanted her to be mine. 

My mind flashed to this morning, to what I had done so stupidly. I regretted it. Regretted it like hell; I was a coward and a fool and I wished I could take it all back. The moment she withdrew, her eyes like impenetrable ice; I wanted to reach for her, beg for forgiveness. Something I never thought I would be willing to do when the crown rested on my head. But I was ready to then and there. Yet she walked away, not even looking back once. 

Since Mother had passed, the reminder like thousands of jabs to the heart, I didn't know what to do; everything was a blur of grey and black as I teleported home and before I realised I was in front of Lua's door. Everything fell apart around me, as I had stared into the eyes of violet and blue, like the night sky itself. A radiating hand reached out in the sea of grief and sorrow I was slowly drowning in and I latched onto it, it's glowing and warmth inviting me in. It pulled me up up up until noise filled my ears again and breaths filled my lungs. Then I was in her arms, and it felt like the pain was diminishing as if she was soaking it all up; her words a lull, calming the torrents within me. 

She was there. Willing and accepting, and it scared me. 

I pushed her away, and I wished I hadn't. I hated that I did. 

But looking at her now, witnessing and feeling everything she was, it was clear to me, that I needed to be there for her. 

"Lua," I said, concern crisp in my voice, trying to get her to focus on me and not at what was raging in her head.

"Speak to me; tell me what's going on," I try again. 

"What do you care." Everything about her demeanour was like ice. Cold and unyielding as she stepped out of my hold. 

I hated this. Why did I have to be such a goddamned coward when it came to her. I hated the distance that was created between us. 

I wasn't thinking when my hand reached for her, or when I managed to grab it and pull her in. It hadn't even been a full day and I missed everything about her. 

She was completely still in my arms, her arms rigid as she said - "What are you doing?" 

"I'm sorry," I mumbled into her skin, her scent sending my magic haywire. "I'm sorry for pushing you away, I'm sorry that I made you hate me," 

I could hear her heartbeat pounding at the same rate as mine. Her breaths warm on my neck, as I felt her head rest on my shoulders and it felt as though the weight of the entire world had lifted off my shoulders.