Chapter 16

Lissa

I could hear the wolves howl as they introduced Alexandria to the pack as a wolf. I didn't go because being around them reminded me that there are only two of my kind left and all I know of Dante is that he and his bond partner were captured by an alpha and Dante is being tortured. I can feel his pain and that is why I am never around Tessa very often. She will see the pain on my face.

Suddenly a pain races through my back and I let out a distress call and landed ungracefully on the ground. 'Dante!' I sent out to him through our bond. But from the other end of the bond I felt.... freedom. Dante escaped!

But he's weak and I need to find him. I flew up to a branch in the oldest tree I could find and began to concentrate. Slowly I felt myself flying through the woods and I suddenly stopped.

I looked down and saw three people, all dirty and frail looking, running away from something. One of them, a girl, was carrying something. It was dirty and very flimsy. I saw a flicker of a flame and knew it was Dante.

I immediately snapped into my own body and took off. I had to save him.

They were just on the other side of the neighboring pack's territory. This meant that they escaped from alpha Michael. I am furious. My other half was being tortured by the same alpha who wants to kill my bond partner. This made my blue flames burn brighter and I flew faster.

Then I came up on the pack and saw Tessa shift and hug Gabriel. She looked up at me and gave me a look that asked if I was ok. I shook my head and took off again. She would let me go if she knew.

I came up on the neighboring pack's territory and called out to Dante. 'Lissa?' That was all I got.

When I finally found them, they were catching their breath. I cawed and landed next to them. The people, who I could now tell are werewolves, looked wary of me but when Dante answered my caw, they knew I wasn't a threat.

There is one thing not very many people know about phoenixes, when we are near our other half, we can shift.

I concentrated on my human self and I began to feel my body change. Soon I was standing on two legs and naked.

I saw that Dante had shifted and in his place was a red haired man with a handsome face, amber eyes, and a muscled body that I wanted to curl up next to.

I shook the image out of my head and turned to the oldest person in the group, a man with peppered hair and a frail body. "What happened?"

His voice was hoarse, " Alpha Michael raided our pack. We were rogues trying to make a life. He killed many of our pack members and kept us for info." He turned to look at Dante, who was leaning against a tree with his eyes closed. His wounds were already healing.

"He killed his bond partner. He was our leader. He tortured Dante and him the most because he believed they had intel on the Guardian wolf. Michael slit our leaders throat in anger. Dante hasn't been the same."

Rage welled up in me and I wanted to kill Michael for hurting my other half. Rustling in the bushes made me think I'll have a chance to hurt something.

Nine wolves stepped out, their fangs bared. The three rogues cowered together. I felt someone step beside me and turned to look at Dante. " Lets kill these bastards." He said in a deep sexy voice.

I smiled. " It will be my pleasure." Together we shifted into our phoenix forms and our flames mixed together in tendrils of blue and orange. We can control fire and together we wrapped the tendrils around the wolves who howled and yipped in pain. While the fire was burning and distracting them, me and Dante took to the air and attacked from above. The fight didn't last long and soon the nice wolves were laying in their own blood.

I shifted and turned to the rogues. " This pack is small and I need to get you to my pack. Can you shift?" They nodded. "Good. Follow me and be silent." We all shifted and took off, silently making our way to Bloodmoon territory.

I sent Tessa a message telling her to meet us at the territory's edge and when we burst through the trees, Tessa and those closest to her were waiting.

Not wanting them to attack the rogues, I shifted, earning a few surprised gasps, and walked up to Tessa. " Don't hurt them. They were kidnapped by Michael and tortured." Dante shifted and stood next to me.

Tessa and Gabriel looked the rogues over. " Well guys," Tessa said to the rogues, " You have some explains to do. And welcome to the Bloodmoon pack."