29. If You'd Let Me

After school Nolan and I did our usual routine. Only that time I was actually allowed inside his house.

The bright colors that decorated the inside still took me by surprise. Because of the way Nolan dressed and acted I expected his home to be a reflection of that. I imagined some dark, gloomy house with tattered furniture and the stale stench of cigarettes.

Nolan disappeared down the hallway to his room, I assumed. My eyes were drawn to the series of photo collage frames that decorated the wall.  Most of the pictures looked old. There were some of Nolan's parents on their wedding day. Some pictures of a younger Nolan on birthday's, face covered in cake in each of them.

The one that really caught my attention was of Nolan and group of guys dressed in helmets, knee and elbow pads, and holding skateboards. He was younger, middle school aged maybe? The shocking part of the photo was the guy standing next to him. It looked Nick Grice.

The two of them were grinning, arms slung around each other's shoulders. They were friends? Why'd they hate each other so much now?

The shrill sound of the telephone ringing spooked me, pulling my attention away from the pictures. A cordless phone sat on the island that separated the kitchen from the living room. Who still used a landline?

"Want me to get it?" I called out as I walked over to the phone.

"No," he shouted back. "It's just telemarketers."

I picked the phone up to stop the annoying ringing. That's when I saw her. Allison, Nolan's mom, was splayed out of the kitchen floor. My heart dropped along with the phone which clattered on the counter top.

"Nolan!" I yelled frantically as I rushed to his mother's side. "Nolan, your mom—"

I was cut off by a small moan coming from Allison. Her eyes squeezed tighter together before finally opening. She was alive, but I was still shaken up. Where the hell was Nolan?

"Are you okay?" I asked, helping her sit up.

The woman laughed, pushing her hair from her face. "I'm fine. I'm fine." Her face reddened as if embarrassed.

"Should I call—"

"No, no, no," she cut in, waving the idea off. "You don't have to call anyone." She gripped the edge of the counter, attempting to pull herself up.

I stood, helping her. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. I'm alright, really," she insisted, the smile never leaving her face. "I was out working in the garden. I must've been out in the sun too long."

I guessed that made sense. It was unseasonably warm for November. Still, I felt she should see a doctor. Just in case.

As I helped her into a chair at the table I glanced back for Nolan. There was no sign of him. Did he not hear me screaming for him?

"Can I get you anything?" I asked, turning back to Allison.

"Just some water. Thank you."

I grabbed a cup from the dish rack, filling it with water from the fridge. My eyes kept flickering to hall, willing Nolan to appear and take over.

Then he did, just as I handed the cup to Allison.

"You ready?" He asked, not even bothering to stop as he headed for the door that lead to the garage.

His mom didn't seemed bothered by the fact that he didn't ask if she was okay or even spare her a glance. I, however, kind of wanted to slap him.

"Go," Allison said, still smiling behind the cup of water. "Don't worry about me."