37. Everything's Great

Taylor cried when Dad picked her up. I felt her pain. I thought I'd have at least a couple of days to prepare for this...him, but he showed up bright and early the next day.

The tension in the house was thick and suffocating. Mom stood awkwardly in the doorway leading to the kitchen while Dad didn't step pass the foyer. My parents barely made eye contact or spoke to each other.

My suitcase was packed and ready to go. The sooner we left, the sooner I could get back. Dad mistook my eagerness to leave as excitement.

"You're gonna love San Francisco," he said, smiling wide. Taylor looked like him. They both had square heads and smiled so big they showed off their gums. It was cute when my sister did it. Dad's smile made me want to roll my eyes. What was he happy about?

"You're still on punishment." Mom broke her silence to let my dad know that I basically wasn't allowed to enjoy the trip.

No phone. No laptop. No Nolan. Wait...San Francisco?

"I thought you were in Ohio?"

"Only for a few months to look over the merger," he explained. "I thought I told you that?"

I shrugged, not even bothering to try and remember him telling me about his living situation. But knowing he was only a five hour drive away made things a hundred times worse. He was in the same state and has only made a handful of half-assed attempts to reach out.

I shot Mom a pleading look which she ignored as she handed Dad Taylor's tiny suitcase and diaper bag. "I'll see you girls in a few days."

She kissed Taylor's head and gave me a brief hug before practically pushing us out the door. How was I supposed to stay sane for the next five hours? For the next week?

We loaded everything into the trunk of Dad's Infiniti and got Taylor situated in her car seat. When I opened the passenger side door there was rectangular box on the seat wrapped in festive paper.

"An early Christmas gift," he informed me.

I picked it up, all but throwing it in the backseat. "Thanks," I muttered as I climbed into the seat.

Dad let our a sigh before getting into the car. We waved one last time to Mom before pulling off. I put my head phones in, prepared to sleep through the drive. Dad wanted to play catch-up though.

"How's school?"

"Good."

"How about those college applications? I know how stressful the essays can be."

"Good. Everything's great."

He heaved another sigh, frustrated with my dry replies. It got him to stop talking though. Unfortunately, Taylor started to scream at the top of her lungs.

Me too, little sister.

* * *

Dad lived in a house with a long, circular driveway, perfectly manicure lawn and a view of the ocean. I hated how much I loved it. I hated how I pictured us all being there lounging on the deck on lazy Sundays while looking out at the water, having breakfast in the spacious kitchen, crowded around the fireplace in our pajamas on Christmas morning.

He didn't want us there with him, though. At least not all of us.

"I can't believe she's walking already." Dad watched Taylor waddle through her new surroundings with a look of pride on his face. "I remember your first steps. You were determined to get to my hot wings." He laughed.

I pretended to be interested in the extravagant tree that was in the corner, gifts piled high around it. About half of the gifts were wrapped in the same paper as the last one from the car, which was now stuffed in my purse.