What if we Drown (13)

Even with the heater going, Ashlyn still felt a chill in the cab of Kass' pickup, goosebumps covering her arms and legs

Even with the heater going, Ashlyn still felt a chill in the cab of Kass' pickup, goosebumps covering her arms and legs. It took every ounce of restraint she could muster to keep from rubbing her arms. The friction would only irritate the skin further.

The lights of the town were a blur against the night sky, marred by the falling drops of rain. Ashlyn watched the buildings pass by, reflecting on Abel's parting words. This day had come dangerously close to concluding differently, and her heart still couldn't process it all. She'd been saved the heartache of losing someone important to her, and now that same person was encouraging her to let one more person into her messy life. The reminder that she had come close to losing the next closest thing she had to a father terrified her, but she was comforted to know he was going to be okay.

Ashlyn tapped on the window, blotting out each raindrop that rolled beneath her finger on the other side. She sighed, envisioning with each drop the incessant tears she'd already cried. The goodbye they'd set out to say today had almost become permanent.

The vehicle came to a stop at a traffic light, another car pulling up beside them. Ashlyn observed the occupants from her window, a couple laughing in the front seat as they glanced each other's way. In the back, a baby sucked at its toes, its other arm flapping wildly with glee. She thought she could almost hear the soft sound of the baby's chatter. It bought a smile to Ashlyn's cheeks at the display of such joy and childlike innocence. A happy family.

Ashlyn jumped suddenly, her knuckles wrapping against the glass. How could I have been so selfish? she thought. Mila. The baby. Frantically she began digging through the center console where she had stowed her phone. Past the packets of gum and the perfume, her fingers searched.

Finding it at the bottom next to Kass' stash of chocolate raisins, Ashlyn removed her phone. Her hands trembled as she tried to press the home button, but the phone, loose in her unsteady grip, slipped through her fingers. She groaned, watching it fall between the seat and console before she could react quick enough.

"Ash, what is it?" Kass asked with worry, glancing over before her gaze returned to the road before them. The light had turned green. Ashlyn shook her head, readjusting her seatbelt so she could take a closer look in the small gap. She couldn't see anything.

Mila, she signed, her movements rushed before she tried to reach down between the seat and the console. Her arm didn't fit. She clenched her fist in frustration, and Derek shifted on the seat behind her.

"I got it," he spoke quietly, holding his phone out to her, the flashlight on. Ashlyn held the light over the crevice, as Derek maneuvered around her so as not to knock heads.

"It's okay hun. I already spoke to Mila, and so did Abels doctor. She's okay, and she'll call tomorrow," Kass reassured Ashlyn, the click of the indicator filling the silence.