Daddy's Little Girl- 21

"Oh my god." I breathe. This can't be happening. They couldn't have gotten Lauren! She's at school, Amy would have called. No, they must be just scaring us so that Jane blindly goes back.

"What's wrong Maggie?" Ryan asks behind me, looking over my shoulder at the bow and note."Whats that? And isn't that Lauren's bow?"

"Yeah, um, Steven? We kind of have a very bad potential crisis on our hands." I whisper, closing my eyes.

"What is it Maggie? I don't know how many more problems this case can face. There's only so much bad two men can't do and that we can prove isn't there?" Steven says, his voice muffled by the air conditioning.

"Apparently there seems to be no current level of evil for them. They have Lauren."

"What? No! They can't possibly have Lauren! There is no way that's possible!" Ryan shouts at the same time Steven says.

"This is the biggest roller coaster case I've ever been appointed."

And Jane comes in, "who's Lauren?"

As Ellie cries, "the little girl?"

"I have to call Amy and see if there's any way to stop this. Steven, please drive to the elementary school. Lauren is in kindergarten. They shouldn't be getting out for another half hour." I direct as I dig my cell phone out of my back pocket.

The phone rings and rings and rings until I just about hang up to try again when I hear Amy pick up the line. "Hello? Maggie? Are you ready to be picked up already?"

"No Amy we aren't. And it could be a long night for everyone if what I'm about to say is true."

"Oh no. What's wrong Maggie? Is everything alright with Jane?"

"It's not Jane's fault that this happened, none of us had any idea that saving Jane could jeopardize Lauren-"

"Lauren? What happened to Lauren? She should be in school now Maggie!"

"We aren't sure yet that there is anything wrong with Lauren but I found a note attached to one of her little pink bows that we need to return Jane 'or else.'"

"Or else what Maggie? What are they going to do to my baby?"

"That's it Amy, we don't know what the 'or else' means. We don't even know if Lauren is in danger. They could just be using a scare tactic. We're on our way as we speak to Lauren's school to check her safety." I explain to Amy. We pull onto the street of the elementary school. "We're almost there. Amy, you have to promise me that you are going to stay home and lock all of the doors and windows right now. We will find Lauren and bring her home safely as soon as we can but I need to make sure you're safe."

"What about Jack? What are we going to do with him?"

"I'll check his classroom as well to make sure he is safe then I'll try to get him excused early today and we will bring him home to you. Only answer the door if I tell you it's okay, only answer it to Steven, Ryan or myself. Please Amy, you have to promise me that you won't come looking for Lauren or come to help us. Jack needs you right now more than ever if they have his sister."

"Maggie. You have to understand what you're asking of me. My baby girl's life is possibly in danger and I can't do anything but lock myself in my house while I sit and wait for you to do so etching to help her."

"You need to keep Jack safe and you need to be safe otherwise what would Lauren have to return home to? Please Amy. I need to at least make sure you're safe."

She hesitates and we pull into a parking spot. Steven turns off the car and turns to look at me. The silence in the ca and on the phone is awful. Amy sighs. "To keep Jack safe, I promise you that I will lock myself I. The house and wait for you to drop him off."