F O U R - THE FIRST GAME

Jamie and I talked on the phone that night for hours, about anything and everything in-between. He made me smile, he made me laugh, and I felt like a teenager again lying in my bed talking to a boy. We hung up with plans to see each other at the end of the week when Jamie got back from his road trip to St. Louis and Chicago and my three days of work were behind me.

When I went back to work on Tuesday morning Sophia met me in the locker room with a giant grin on her face and a cup of coffee. "How's Jamie?" she asked as I shoved my backpack into my locker.

I shrug throwing my stethoscope around my neck, "He's good, they're in Chicago."

"You know his schedule, Greer?"

My cheeks warmed as I took the coffee from her outstretched hand, "We just made plans for after this road trip. I haven't memorized the whole season, calm down."

"Okay, no more talking about hockey boy. I'm just glad you called him, you seem happy, G."

"I am, but I'm also not getting my hopes up."

Sophia shakes her head her brown braids flapping as she walks away from me, "Your negative Nancy attitude kills me, but I do love you."

"I love you too, have a good day."

Wednesday and Thursday's shifts drag on forever just as Tuesday's had but this time when the clock strikes 7:30 on Thursday night I had better plans than heading home to lounge on the couch with Murphy.

Instead, I was heading to have a late dinner with Jamie who had just gotten back from his road trip this morning. Before heading out of the locker room I refreshed my makeup, threw on a dash of BB Cream, a swoop of mascara, a quick brush of my teeth, and a new coat of deodorant. There wasn't much to be done with my mess of blonde curls, or the fact that I was sporting scrubs but having dinner right after my shift was Jamie's idea, so he would have to deal with this after-shift look.

The brewhouse he had suggested was only a few blocks from the hospital making it easy for me to get there in time for our 8 o'clock date. Pulling into the parking lot I start looking for what could possibly be Jamie's vehicle. Until it hits me that I have no idea what he drives.

Parking beside a black Chevy truck I take a peek at my reflection in my rearview mirror, this is as good as it's going to get. As soon as my Nikes hit the pavement outside my Kia a light pops on in a car a few spots down.

Jamie.

My stomach flutters making me move faster to the center aisle where I catch sight of Jamie leaning against the tailgate of his own truck. And it's one hell of a view. His large hands are stuffed in the front pockets of his jeans, and the tan Henley shirt he's sporting is working overtime as it's stretched across his chest. And those curls? They are as messy as ever, and fully visible tonight.

Caught in the act of checking Jamie out my cheeks flame as I come to standstill in front of him. The smirk spread across his face tells me he didn't mind at all. "How is it possible that you look this cute after work?" Jamie asks as he pushes himself off the bed of his truck rising up to his full height.

"Well, I don't feel cute but, but thank you. How was your trip?" Jamie's arm finds its way around my shoulders as we head towards the entrance. His body is warm beside mine despite the fact that he's not wearing a jacket.

"Quick. One win, one loss, but it's early in the season." As the hostess leads us back to a table Jamie's hand moves down to my back, a shiver shoots down my spine feeling his fingertips through the thin blue fabric.

I really need to get out more often.

"How was your shift?" Jamie asks as I flip through the beer menu.