"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

Published on December the 29th, 2019. 09.15.

As the final dregs of 2019 swirl around the plughole of history, this is traditionally a time to pause and take stock of the year about to pass, as well as anticipate the one to come.

We should have been out of the EU nine months ago by now, but events took a different course leading to the stunning result of the recently held general election; an outcome so astonishing that political eardrums are still ringing and the ground still smoking from that metaphorical explosion. But rather than proving to be an example of the dictatorship of the proleteriat, this is more a case of a desperate people handing their fate to the same group of people who have repeatedly screwed them over and let them down so many times before; a form of Stockholm syndrome, or the equivalent of a trapped animal gnawing its own leg off in order to be free.

The new parliament rushed BoJo's Botched BRINO Bill through its second reading just before Christmas, with the House of Lords due to consider it from January the 7th. Assuming there is no rearguard stalling there, or in the European Parliament who must also ratify the Withdrawal Agreement, the legislation should be passed in time for the UK to leave the bloc on January the 31st. But then Boris' and our problems might only be starting, as the follow-on trade negotiations are due to be concluded by this time in 2020, and taking his cue from the recent parliamentary shenanigans he's added a binding clause to Bill which would prevent any extension to the talks. If no agreement can be reached by year's end, the prospect of the No Deal Apocalypse will once more rear its head. And far from being a Churchillian stalwart, the EU will have Johnson's measure by now, so are unlikely to grant him many favours. If he is seen to be selling us out, that heavy inflammable vapour of discontent which has accumulated these past few years and is yet to dissipate may be touched-off and explode in his face.

The turning of the year marks one of those portentous moments when we cross a threshold into the uncertain and unknown. It's that sensation of unease experienced in early January where the world is familiar, yet different; like wearing new clothes and shoes you've yet to get used to. I've had this feeling since December the 13th, and I think it will only intensify for all of us as the month's end approaches.