Chapter Five

His new room was a deep blue with gray and white décor that made it all look clean and modern. A contemporary white desk was stationed on the left side of the room near the door connecting his room to the Jack and Jill bathroom. The white queen sized bed sat in between two deep gray nightstands and two large windows that were slightly covered by heavy gray draped curtains. A large, cushioned blue ottoman sat at the foot of the bed facing an ivory fireplace with a custom mirror overhead and decorative candles on the mantel. Two velvet blue armchairs with a stark white sheepskin rug completed the room.

Paxton sat at his white desk that was too sleek for words. He glanced around his new room and laughed ironically at how much things had changed in a matter of weeks. He and his sister had gone from living on the run in cars, trailer parks or two-bedroom apartments to living in a five bedroom house that happened to be in a community of only vampires in a city for the supernatural. Paxton laughed again, because he knew if anyone had told him that he would be so lucky to be able to say that these things were his even 2 weeks ago he would have never believed.

See Paxton was aware of luck. It had evaded him since before he was born. As a child of Adrian Pavlov, he learned really quickly that luck didn't pay any attention to his family. Adrian Pavlov was a man of many talents. As the son of Evan Pavlov his name carried a weight passed down from generation to generation. He was feared by most vampires on the West coast and known by name and reputation by the vampires throughout the United States and Russia.

He was the main distributor of numerous drugs throughout the West Coast and parts of the South to vampires and humans alike. But his pride and joy was XS, a drug created with the use of vampire blood. XS provided the highs and euphoria of every type of drug already known to man without the crash. However, it was so addictive, expensive and left the user's mind open to compulsion regardless of species. Lives throughout the United States and Russia were being ruined due to this drug, but Adrian could care less. It was also creating more vampires for those humans that ended up dying while on the drug.

Adrian's favorite pastimes were feeding and fucking. He sometimes indulged in both at once. His favorite girls, though there were many, were best friends Shari and Mallory. He met them at an underground speakeasy in Los Angeles and before he could sign his signature on the check they were all feeding and fucking in a bathroom stall. He knew right then he needed them and brought them back to his loft in Santa Fe Springs, California.

His uncles Erik and Elijah were quite disappointed. He had different women in and out of his secret loft, while his wife lived in their suburban home. They practically raised him after his father, Evan, disappeared when he was thirteen. Erik had hoped that despite their role in the uprising that they would be good enough influences now that they had changed, but it seemed too late. Adrian, it seemed, was becoming even worse than his father.

Amelia Solano knew what she was getting into when she married the notorious Adrian Pavlov. He was evil to the core. She saw it the day they met, despite his attempts at charming her. She wanted so badly to ignore the burning feeling in her chest and the urge to run to him instead of away from. Out of all the vampires in the world, Adrian Pavlov had to be her mate.

In the beginning he tried. He attempted to be a good man and make a decent and legal living, but after six months the charade was over. She was surprised he lasted that long. Amelia didn't care about the many women he cheated on her with. At first it was devastating to discover your husband in the arms of another woman, then the second time the pain hurt though not as palpable, but by the fifteenth time and that many women later Amelia was numb.

She knew she couldn't step out on her marriage like he had. He would kill the man and her with little regard to the hypocrisy of it all. It was three years into their marriage when Amelia was beginning to lose all hope of living a life she deserved when Adrian came to her in a tearful plea.