Chapter Thirty-Six

The funeral was set for 11 am that morning. Margot wore a white dress, along with every other Devereux witch in attendance. It was customary for them to usher in a new light among the ancestors. Everyone else wore their blacks and dark grays as they made their way into the small chapel. Grey and Paxton sat in the front row along with the Devereux women.

Sniffles and sobbing could be heard throughout the church as teachers, close friends and classmates took their seats in the back. Stevie had been inconsolable since the night Isla died. It wasn't how they expected their parents to be made aware of them, but Derek Ruiz was the only person that seemed to get Stevie to calm down. Once he finally got her to sleep, he explained to her parents and then his parents how much they loved and cared for one another.

Due to everything that had happened, both sets of parents couldn't see themselves standing in the way of their children's happiness. Derek told Stevie it was Isla's gift to them, which she wholeheartedly agreed with. As they saw Isla laying on the alter dressed in a long, flowing white gown with a flower crown on her head, the reality that she would no longer be with them nestled heavily in their hearts. Paxton couldn't shake the pain and grief and wanted to run as far away as possible, but Grey grabbed his shoulder and gave a small smile. Nina Devereux stood up to speak the crowd quieted.

"My granddaughter, Isla Devereux, was unlike any other person. She had a light about her that just seemed to shine through the darkest of circumstances. She was filled with love and shared as much of it as possible with whoever she crossed paths with. She had a heart of gold and gave her life so that this town would be safe. Isla Devereux was a –" In that moment the alter began to shake.

Stevie let out a scream. Paxton was so worried something was going to happen to his fiancé's body that he hyper sped to her, but before he could touch her arm her body was encapsulated in vines. "What the..." Paxton tried to remove the vines, but they wouldn't budge. Grey was beside him in seconds also trying. "What's happening?" Edie asked through tear stained cheeks. "I don't know." Nina replied shocked.

If she had Otha she would probably get some answers, but thanks to that stupid Angelica, their wise ent was a baby again with barely enough information to help the most rudimentary of problems. As the chapel began asking questions to one another, the alter began shaking again. In an instant the doors of the chapel flew open and Isla's body flew out.

"What the fuck?" Arlo said then quickly covered her mouth. "Follow her body!" Nina screamed. Paxton led the vampires in attendance as they followed the body deeper into the Enchanted Forest. The wolves were on their trail as the all came to the spot in front of Otha. The body laid in front of the sapling and then began to sink.

"No, not here! Not like this!" Paxton cried trying to dig the body back up. "Leave it, Pax. Maybe this is where she wanted to be." Petra offered. The Devereux witches were shocked by all that occurred, but agreed with Petra that the remaining magic in her brought her to this spot and that must've been for a reason.

Nina Devereux finished her speech and watched on as everyone laid down roses at the new burial site. They informed everyone that food would be served at the Devereux house and to make their way there. Paxton and Grey were the last to leave.

"You will always be the love of my life." Paxton cried as he dropped three white roses. He took a step back as Grey stepped up. "I'm so sorry I cheated us by wasting time in the beginning. Please forgive me." Grey sighed. "I hope the time we did have together was enough to show you how madly in love I am with you." He took a step back and walked towards Paxton.

"Does Riel not want to say anything?" Paxton asked. Grey looked sadder than he already did. "When a wolf loses their mate they experience a depression that is debilitating. He's not coming out for a long while." Paxton nodded in understanding as they made their way out of the Enchanted Forest.

"She's really gone." Paxton sighed. "Yeah. She's really –" In that moment they felt a warmness in their chest that was overwhelming and began to hear the softest of melodies. "Do you feel that?" Paxton asked clutching his chest. "Do you hear that?" Grey asked at the same time. At first it was just the humming of a tune and then they heard lyrics.

I'm trying to hold my breath
Let it stay this way
Can't let this moment end
You set off a dream in me
Getting louder now
Can you hear it echoing?

"That voice!" They looked at one another and ran back into the Enchanted Forest as fast as they could. The earth was moving where Isla's body laid to rest. Vines began to come out as dirt made room.

Otha, the sapling, smiled happily as he did a little dance while the earth shook beneath them. Isla's vine wrapped body was above ground and standing upright as little by little each vine pulled back like layers. They saw the first dark-skinned hand peak out and then the other before the figure stood before them.

In a blink of an eye, standing in front of them was their mate.

Be sure to check out the sequel Phoenix Rising next for more of your favorite throuple!