Chapter Seven

"Something is happening to me," Isla cried as she and Edie stood in the foyer. Isla was burning up and every time Edie tried to touch her, she would almost get burned. "Help me, Edie!" Isla cried as literal fire began to swarm around her. "O my goodness," Arlo whispered as she walked in the front door from behind them. "Arlo, get out of here it's not safe!" Edie cried. Not listening to her oldest sister, Arlo ran to the kitchen and came back with a bucket of water. The amount of water would do nothing to quench the fire that was currently engulfing Isla into a sphere, but Arlo threw it anyway to test a theory.

Where the fire once was now there was water. Isla seemed to float calmly in the water sphere and for a few moments things seemed to have calmed down. Then Isla was brought back to reality and so was her panic and deafening screams. The water sphere began to swirl and grow larger in size. Wind whipped around and through the house in major gusts. "What are we going to do," Arlo screamed. The two sisters held onto the banister as they watched their sister lose control to a magic they've never experienced before.

In that moment, Nina and Margot walked in and exchanged a look that confused Edie. Nona, as if instinctually, closed the front door and began reciting a spell that soon Margot joined in on. They grabbed Edie and Arlo's hands for a boost in the spell and it worked. The screaming ceased, the water dissipated and Isla floated slowly downward onto the ground. Nona and Margot looked exhausted from the spell cast, but Edie was not going to let that stop her from getting answers.

"She's a what?" Edie asked as she sat at the breakfast nook with Arlo, Margot and Nona. Isla was telekinetically tucked into bed thanks to Edie after Nona spelled a bracelet that would keep her and her powers sedated. "She's an Orb." Nona repeated. Edie's facial expression still did not change. "It means she can control all earthly elements. The fire, wind...I threw the water because I figured that element would take over and would be less damaging if it got really out of control," Arlo enlightened. "What does this all mean? Why Isla?" Edie asked more afraid of what was in store for her sister. "Every other generation of Devereux women has an orb. My cousin Lottie was an Orb...we never know where the power will land, we just know that it does every other generation."

"What does it mean for Isla?" Edie felt like they weren't telling her something and she didn't want to use her powers on them for answers. "The Orb is the most powerful witch of their time. They are able to harness the power of every orb before them and with so much power comes a lot of damage on the mind and body. Isla will have to seriously learn and train to control her powers or..." Margot trailed off. "Or what?" Edie demanded. "She'll die." Arlo whispered. They all looked at her wondering if she was just answering for them or if she had a vision of that very thing happening.

"Your cousin Lottie," Edie inquired, "how did she die?" The tears were welling in Nona's eyes as she relieved the memory. "It was during the battle against the witch and vampire hunters in 1979. Lottie used all her might to ensure we won, but her powers were consuming her. They constantly tried to take over, which meant the destruction of all of us – all of Ravenswood. She made the sacrifice that all Orbs have to make – she killed herself." The tears flowed from Nona's eyes as she thought back to the looks on Alaric and Nicklaus' faces as they held the woman they both loved, a dying Lottie, in their arms. "So, either way Isla is going to die?" Edie questioned as anger rose in her voice. "We're not going to let that happen, Edie," Margot tried to reassure. "The bracelet will help for now until we can get her paired with an Ent." Nona declared.

"Is this what you meant when you always referred to her as 'The One'...you knew this would happen didn't you?" The anger in Edie's voice was palpable. "Edie, you have to understand that being an Orb is the utmost responsibility to ever befall a Devereux woman. As an Orb it is her job to protect this family and town from any danger just as the first Orb did, Elizabeth Devereux." They were so engrossed in their conversation they didn't notice Isla on the steps listening in to everything they were saying. The bracelet was supposed to keep her sedated, but even that wasn't working as her newfound powers coursed through her veins.

"I don't want to die, Mom," Isla stated behind them. "Oh honey," Margot motioned for her daughter to come to her and pulled her onto her lap like she used to when she was a toddler. "Everything is going to be okay. We will go to the Enchanted Forest tonight and speak with Otha. We will get this handled," Margot declared as though she needed to convince them and herself. "Edie, you stay here with Arlo." Margot instructed. "What? No! I'm going with my sister." Isla placed a hand over Edie's and smiled weakly. "It's okay, E. I'll be fine no matter what. Just take care of Arlo. Mom and I will go to the Enchanted Forest." With a squeeze of her hand, Edie agreed but demanded texts with timely updates.

"I am going to visit Clarice and see about making more bracelets and charms to sedate the powers from manifesting. This bracelet seems to keep you balanced, so keep it on at all times." Nona instructed. "Let me know what Otha says and I'll see you both when you get back." With that everyone went their ways in preparation for what would be a very long night.