Chapter Twenty-Two

Edie sat on Isla's bed brushing her hair as they talked about everything that was going on so far. "Do you think he'll come to you? Do you think he'll be willing to mate?" Isla thought hard before answering. "I honestly don't know, but I hope so. I did everything I could think of outside of showing up at his door in nothing but a trench coat." The two laughed loudly at this. "Well what about Paxton? When are you two going to mate?" Isla filled her in on her plan to mate with Paxton the night before her birthday. She left out the feelings of dread and destruction that were making her more anxious to mate sooner rather than later.

Before Edie could ask her sister another question, she saw a figure in the window. Isla waved her hand to open the window as Grey stepped in. Isla's heart was beating frantically at what it meant for him to be there and she was sure he heard it. "I'll leave you two alone," Edie said putting the brush down and closing the door behind her. "What are you doing here? And don't say you don't know or so help me!" Grey chuckled at this, but he could see she was serious. Isla was tired of everything that had been going on. "I needed to see you." She searched his face for golden eyes, but only dark brown ones stared back. Grey took another step closer.

"At first I allowed my need for my father's approval and fear to take route and cause me to say and do things that I never should have. Then when I found out the truth, I continued to let fear dictate my every move." He reached for her arms and pulled her close to him. They were inches apart and Isla was entranced by his brown eyes. "I'm sorry for making you feel as though you weren't good enough. I'm sorry for making you think that I could never love you. I'm sorry for breaking your heart." He cupped her face and stared as sad eyes stared back. "Why are you saying all of this? What has changed?" Isla was skeptical and he understood why. She was protecting her already bruised heart from him.

"I had a conference meeting with three orbs who put a lot into perspective." Isla's eyes went wide. "They spoke to you? They showed themselves to you!" He nodded with a soft smile. "Apparently mates of orbs can see other orbs." Isla took in this newfound information. Grey stepped closer and pulled Isla by the waist against his body.

"I want you, Isla and I need you to know that I love you." Those were the last words Isla heard before Grey's lips came crashing down on hers. She was shocked, but still managed to take in just how soft his lips were. His tongue graced her bottom lip to grant him entrance and she allowed it. She wrapped an arm around his waist and pulled on the back of his neck with the other hand.

Grey felt like his body was on fire and in the best way. He deepened the kiss and the soft moan that left Isla's lips drove his wolf crazy. 'Mate her! Mate her! Right now!' Riel howled. All Grey wanted to do was lay her on her bed and mate her, but she deserved something special. Isla pulled away breathlessly. Grey stroked her cheek as he searched her eyes for any signs that she regretted their kiss. All Grey saw was love and a hint of fear, but he was going to change that.

"Isla," he began placing his forehead on hers. "Forgive me." Isla let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. "There's nothing to forgive. I've heard wolves are douchebags and now I know firsthand. It's in your nature." A smile graced Grey's lips as he lifted her head up. "I love you, Grey." Grey's smile widened. "I love you too." He pecked her lips and led her to her bed. "Does this mean you will mate with me?" Isla asked fear ever present in her eyes.

Grey grabbed her hand in his and kissed the back of it. "I want to mate you right here and right now if I could, but you deserve better." Grey looked into her eyes and smiled. "We will mate." He tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "And it will be perfect just like you deserve."

He kissed her deeply this time and Isla was breathless. In an instant he was on top of her with her skirt hiked around her waist. "I want to do something." Isla whispered against his lips. He smiled widely as she turned them over and straddled him. Isla looked at him and bit her bottom lip apprehensively as she unbuttoned his shirt.