Chapter 3: Getting to Know Her

Colton's POV

The next day, Colton stopped by Colton's Creations to see what was going on. His father, Jeffery, looked up from what he was doing as he rushed from behind the counter to greet his son. "Hey there, champ. How are you?" He ruffled Colton's hair.

Colton looked around, wondering if anyone could see the disgusting display of affection his father just showed. After seeing that the coast was clear, he let out a sigh of relief. "Dad, you know I'm not fourteen anymore, right?"

"I know, but you'll always be that boy who used to run around in his diapers to your mom."

"Dad..." Colton whined.

"Okay, okay. I'll stop...for now. How's your friend doing?"

Colton raised his forehead. "You mean Teagan? Yeah, I don't think she likes me. "

Jeffery frowned. "Was this before or after she heard that there was a new bakery in town?"

"After..." Colton said.

Jeffery scratched his chin. "Let me guess...she was afraid that you'd steal her customers away?"

Colton blinked. "Yeah, how did you know?"

Colton's dad swallowed a lump in his throat, avoiding eye contact with his son. "I may or may not have eavesdropped on your conversation with her."

Colton took a sharp breath, upset that his dad had intruded on a private conversation with Teagan.

"Don't worry. I just left as soon as you reassured the girl that she had nothing to worry about."

Colton smiled.

"By the way, wasn't that girl your best friend in high school?" Jeffery questioned.

"Ha-ha. The one and only," he replied.

Jeffery stood up to hug his son once more. "I'm glad to see you two talk to each other again. Well, I gotta get back to work. See ya sport!"

Thank god nobody was there to hear that. Alas, luck wasn't on his side. He heard a giggle coming from behind him and slowly turned back to see Teagan covering her hand with her mouth to stop herself from laughing.

He quickly walked out of the store, his face flushed as the memory of Teagan laughing became imprinted in his brain.

The next day, Colton walked over to Creative Confections, eager to see what it was like. As he opened the door, he found that the place was unlike anything he had ever seen before.

He looked around the store, feeling the warmth and love that the owner and the employees radiated through looking at the designs and delicious treats.

"Hello there. Just give a minute. I'll be right with you," a middle-aged lady said, looking for something from behind the display counter. The middle-aged woman popped up from behind the counter. She had an apron tied around her waist and her hair in a bun.

The instant Miss Valdez's voice had reached his ears, Colton was taken back to a memory he had forgotten long ago. A new family had just moved into the house a few corners down from theirs, sparking his interest. He had walked out of his parents' car, looking over at Teagan and giving her a wave. Teagan had been sun tanning on a lounge chair when he had accidentally set the sprinklers off. It was such a hilarious sight to see that he couldn't help but laugh. 

Miss Valdez walked from the counter to greet him. "Hello, Colton! It's good to see you." Her expression morphed into a frown, thinking about her daughter. "I'm afraid Teagan has come down with something awful." He watched as Miss Valdez rummaged through her purse to find what she desired. She held out a bag of what looked to be a mixture of various herbs inside. "Be a dear and help me give this to her. Tell her to simmer this in a pot of hot water for twenty minutes and afterward, strain it and drink it while it's still warm," she instructed. "I found this recipe online and that one of these herbs, I think astragalus is what it's called, helps with seasonal allergies."

"I will, thanks!" Colton waved goodbye to Miss Valdez as he walked towards Teagan's house. Colton rapidly knocked on the door before Lewis the butler opened the door for him. 

"Ah, you must be Mr. Edgeworth. Teagan's mom told me that you would be here. Please, do come in!" The butler greeted him.

As the butler closed the door behind him, Colton glanced back as he took in the butler's appearance. It certainly wasn't the usual attire a butler would usually wear: a casual green shirt and blue jeans.

"You're probably wondering why I'm dressed like this," Lewis spoke aloud to Colton.

Colton looked taken aback by his response. "Sorry, I didn't mean to stare."

"It's quite alright, sir. I'm actually on my day off, and, in case you're wondering about Miss Teagan, she's in the living room," Lewis replied, motioning for Colton to follow him.

As Colton followed the butler to the living room, he felt immediate sympathy for Teagan, who had to skip out on baking with her mom. She really cares about her family's legacy, that's for sure. Miss Valdez told him that Teagan had been sniffling more than once this week and had just chalked it up to the weather.

However, it was only upon closer inspection that he realized that Teagan wasn't in the best condition. A bag of used tissues was near her bedside table as she blew her nose into one. Colton scrunched his nose in disgust. "You okay?" he managed to get out, trying to be helpful.

"Yeah, I just feel tired, that's all. I blame myself for forgetting to check the weather. Achoo!"

"Bless you." He sauntered toward her, wondering whether to take the risk. He took in her appearance. Runny nose, red, swollen eyes, sneezing, especially now that it was spring.

"Seems like you caught a case of hay fever." Colton acknowledged, wincing when he heard Teagan blow her nose.

The tips of her ears turned a light shade of pink. "Sorry," she replied, watching as he winced.

Colton gave her a dismissive wave. "It's okay. Your mom told me to bring this." He held up a cheesecloth full of herbs as he walked into the kitchen, doing as Teagan's mom instructed.

Teagan turned her head back, watching as Colton was doing something in the kitchen. "What are you up to?"

"Making your tea. I want you to get better faster," Colton shouted over his shoulder as he went back to the living room where Teagan laid, holding two steaming cups of chai tea for the two of them.

Teagan sat up to get a better look at him. "I really don't deserve someone like you taking care of me."

"I could say the same thing about you, Milady," Colton softly whispered as he inched closer to Teagan, trailing his thumb down the side of her chin.

"You hoo," Lewis announced, looking at the two with a cheeky grin, the distraction causing Teagan to laugh and Colton to roll his eyes.

Colton turned his attention toward the butler. "I thought you said today was your day off."

Lewis gave him a lopsided grin. "Yes, but you forgot one thing...I have no life."

Teagan chuckled while Colton looked back at her. "Now, I see where you get your sarcasm from."

The two enjoyed a fresh cup of tea together, enjoying each other's company.