Chapter 14: Wishful Thinking

Colton's POV

Colton stared back at Teagan, slowly realizing what had just happened. That was probably his first kiss and what an amazing one it was. Her lips faintly tasted of strawberries, and while he wanted nothing more than for her to feel comfortable, the fact that she deepened the kiss caused him to smile.

He watched as she rubbed her shoulder, avoiding his gaze. "I think we should talk about what happened, don't you?" he asked, looking for a sign of agreement.

Teagan slightly nodded.

He grabbed Teagan's hand softly. "Do you want to go somewhere private or?" He watched Teagan look back at Ire, who had a cheeky grin on her face.

"Yeah, there's a local coffee shop not too far from here. We could go there if you want." Teagan said, looking at the ground, trying to avoid his line of sight.

Colton frowned. He knew that things were going to be awkward between them, but he never realized just how awkward they would become. He waved back to Ire, with him and Teagan walking over to her. "Hey, Ire. You ready to go?"

"Sure." Ire looked at the two of them, giving them a lopsided grin. "I could give you guys some more time if you want."

Colton grit his teeth and sighed. "Come on, Ire. Stop teasing. It's already awkward enough as it is."

Ire shrugged. "It's only as awkward as you make it out to be, Colton. Come on, let's get out of here."

The trio walked out of the mall, with Colton noticing that Teagan had brought her phone out. "I just want to let my parents know that we'll be going to one more place, then we're heading home."

He and Ire nodded, bringing out their phones to do the same. They walked out of the mall, the sun's rays shining on their faces. The trio walked through the city's park. Couples walked past them, holding their children by the hand.

Ten minutes later, they were at Heavenly Blends. Teagan held open the door to the building, letting her friends go in after her. Ire shot her a grateful smile, heading inside. Colton went in after her, but not before leaving the door open for Teagan. Teagan giggled, using her hand to conceal a smile.

Colton looked around the building, hearing employees calling out orders. He listened to the thick whir of the frothing machine while spoons linked against the side of a mug. Mingled voices filled the air as he watched people conversing with one another, either laughing or working on homework that was probably due the next day. He smiled when he found three chairs for him and his friends to sit at, along with a table to put their drinks on.

"I found a place for us to sit at. Come on." Colton said as he motioned for Teagan and Ire to follow him. The three sat at the table, with the occasional awkward silence filling the air. He cleared his throat, causing Teagan to look at him in anticipation. He felt the table wobble and looked down, noticing how Teagan's foot thumped against the hard, wooden floor.

Colton reached across the table, holding Teagan's hand in his. She didn't seem to pull away, her gaze locked on his hand. You okay? He mouthed toward her.

Teagan nodded. "Sorry, I'm just a little nervous, that's all."

Colton smiled. "I guess we're both nervous then," he admitted.

Teagan laughed, using her hand to cover her mouth.

"You know your smile is the best thing about you, so please don't try to hide it." He confessed, watching her remove her hand slowly until it reached the table.

Colton squeezed Teagan's hand softly, prompting a dazzling white smile from her end. He looked towards Ire, who stared down at the floor. She quickly got up, moving to another table which had an empty seat.

Colton raised an eyebrow at her. "What's wrong?" He watched as Ire gave the two a pointed look.

"No one likes to feel like a third wheel..." Ire muttered, crossing her arms.

Colton felt a pang of guilt. He never realized how lonely Ire would feel. "Sorry, Ire. Come back and join us." He watched as Ire looked between the two with a smile.

The smell of freshly brewed coffee and ground beans and the tingle of spices filled the air as a waitress came to take their order.

"Hey, you guys! My name's Darla, and I'll be your server for this afternoon. What would you like?" The woman put a pitcher full of water on their table, along with some glasses. She filled them up to the brim.

Colton watched as Teagan gestured to him. "You go first? I don't know what to order yet."

Colton shrugged. "I'll have the cafe au lait with..." He looked at the menu, browsing through his options. "The roast beef sandwich."

The waitress scribbled down his order on a notepad. "Perfect, and for you, miss?"

Teagan looked over to Ire, sending her a bashful smile. "I'm still not ready. Can you, maybe order?"

Ire rolled her eyes at Teagan's mannerisms. "I'll have a sweet tea with a grilled chicken sandwich."

Teagan looked at the menu, biting her lip. Colton noticed this as he leaned to her side, looking down at her menu.

"What are you trying to order?" he asked. He looked up at Teagan, slowly realizing that their faces were an inch away from each other.

Teagan gulped, realizing this as she looked into Colton's eyes with him doing the same. The spell was broken when they heard Ire clear her throat, motioning to the waitress.

The waitress looked at them with the same cheeky grin Ire wore a few hours before. "I didn't mean to interrupt the moment between you guys, but−"

Teagan fumbled with her menu, causing her elbow to knock over the glass of water onto the floor. "I'm sorry," she said, her cheeks burning red with embarrassment.

Ire rubbed her shoulder. "Hey, it's okay. It was an accident."

What Colton didn't realize how everything would change so quickly with those few words.