Chapter 19: Life's Little Moments

One week later

Teagan's POV

Teagan and Colton sat side by side on the park bench, watching children laugh and play with their friends. Colton planted a kiss on her forehead, hearing her let out a soft giggle.

She laid her head against his shoulder. "This is nice." His hands ran softly through her hair.

Colton turned to look at Teagan, a smile on his face. "Yeah, it is."

Teagan turned to him, a stunned look on her face. "Why didn't you tell me you were scared when I mentioned the haunted house and, before you ask, Ire told me everything."

Colton muttered something under his breath, avoiding her gaze. "You were so happy about the event. I just wanted you to be happy, even if I wasn't."

Teagan squirmed beside him. "But your happiness matters too. We could have done something else that didn't make you uncomfortable." She laid a hand on his shoulder. "You don't have to be afraid, to be honest with me, Colton."

Colton pressed a kiss to her hand. "Thanks, Teagan. I'll remember that." He paused for a moment. "I have something fun we could do, but it might sound weird."

Teagan shot him a curious glance. "What's up?"

Colton fiddled with the hem of his shirt. "I was thinking that since we're people-watching, we could make up stories about them. No gossiping, just imagining what their story could be."

Teagan stared at him for a moment, then grinned. "Sounds like fun. Since you're the one who thought of the idea, you start first."

Colton laughed. "Okay, wise guy. Let me think." He watched a little girl build a sandcastle in the sandbox, admiring the creation before her. "That little girl dreams of the finer things in life. Her family is middle class." He continued. "And while she's happy with the way things are, she longs for a time where she could buy anything her heart desires."

Teagan looked at him, her eyes welling up at the story Colton told. "That was beautiful, Colt."

Colton looked taken aback.

Idiot! Teagan chided herself. Now you've made things awkward for both of you.

Colton spoke up. "Colt, huh? That's twice that you've called me that." He leaned in closer, causing Teagan's heartbeat to quicken. "I think I prefer Cutie better," he whispered into her ear.

The proximity between them began to get smaller as his lips captured hers in a soft kiss. It was moments like these that she treasured, where Colton treated her like the princess that she was.

Colton was the first to pull away, his cheeks reddening. "I don't think I'll ever get tired of kissing you if it means more moments like this."

Teagan's heart fluttered at his words. "Thanks." She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Okay, now it's my turn." She looked at a young guy chasing his significant other around the playground, hearing the woman laugh.

"See those two over there?" Teagan asked, with Colton following her gaze to the young couple she observed. "Those two look like they're in the honeymoon phase of their relationship, laughing like they don't have a care in the world. Only time will tell if their relationship will stand the test of time."

She turned to look at Colton, who stayed silent for a moment. Did she say the wrong thing? What if she said too little? Too much? What if-"

"That was amazing, Teagan," he praised. "But, you forgot two more people, though."

Teagan tilted her head. "Really, who?"

Colton snorted. "Us. What's our story?"

Teagan mulled over Colton's words. She had always wondered about what her future plans would be after high school. Maybe go to college, continue managing with Creative Confections, and get a job as a copyeditor. She looked towards Colton, her skin tingling. "I don't know what the future holds for the two of us, but right now, I know I'm just happy to be here with you."

Colton nodded in agreement. "So am I, Dewdrop. So am I..." The two sat on the bench side by side, enjoying the little moment that they had with one another.