Chapter 8: The Rhythm of the Soul

Teagan's POV

Teagan walked into the dance studio, surprised to see several people already there. "Uh, what's going on?" she asked slowly, trying to take in the scene before her.

The dance instructor looked up, a middle-aged woman with her hair tied up in a bun. She stood tall, with her arms at the side. Despite how intimidating she looked, Teagan felt a sense of peace within her from looking at how casual she dressed: a black top with black leggings, the type of outfit you would wear for dancing.

The dance instructor turned around, directing her attention from the people she was teaching to Teagan. She walked up towards her. "Hello, miss. We're just about to get started with our dance lesson. Would you like to join us? I promise that it's not something serious, just for fun."

Teagan's eyes scanned the room, stopping when she noticed Colton stretching his arms from side to side. She wasn't sure if it was even possible to look that good from just exercising. She gulped, taking in his appearance. Colton stood up, dusting himself off. His hair looked ruffled, but the good kind. He had a lean form as he rolled his shoulders back. Stop staring, you idiot! Stop it, stop it now.

When he finished, he finally noticed Teagan, waving his hand to say hello. She cleared her throat, walking over toward him.

"Teagan? I didn't know you were interested in dancing," Colton commented, looking down at her since she tended to be on the short side.

Teagan opened her mouth to speak when the instructor lifted her hands and clapped. "All right, everyone! Today, we're going to be learning the tango. Now everyone, get into pairs."

Teagan looked up at Colton, the sudden urge to ask him if he wanted to dance rising within her. Her palms were sweaty, trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Thankfully for her, she didn't have to.

"Would you like to dance, Milady?" Colton asked, putting his hand out towards her.

"I'd love to, Mr. Edgeworth." Her eyes bulged in shock, wondering where the sudden confidence had come from.

"Oh, Teagan, you just initiated a very dangerous game," Colton said, looking at her with a dangerous glint in his eyes.

The two turned around to face the instructor, watching how she moved with her partner. Teagan's mouth hung open, wondering how she could make it look so easy. The instructor's partner moved along with her, their dancing impeccable as her instructor followed her partner's lead. "Now, you try," she prompted, walking towards the laptop to play the song.

Teagan looked up at Colton, who lifted his hand up for her. She slowly grabbed it while putting her other hand on his right shoulder, hoping that she wouldn't mess up.

He leaned forward, with Teagan following his move. Stretching their arms out in front of them, Colton guided her, the two of them walking forward for a while before walking backward. His face was inches away from hers, and then the unthinkable happened: she leaned in, their noses touching. Being the same height as Colton was definitely proving to be an advantage.

Teagan walked back, laughing. He chuckled, bringing his hand out again as if to say, do you want to try again?

She nodded, getting into the same position they were in before. The two danced in sync with one another, never missing a beat. So, this is what soaring must feel like.

She looked around the room, noticing everyone's eyes on them. "Colton..." She paused, getting his attention. "People are starting to stare...." she muttered, putting her head on his chest.

"Let them," he whispered into her ear as she visibly shuddered at the proximity between them. "Just go with it and have fun," he said, showing his white teeth as he smiled.

Teagan squealed when Colton suddenly lifted her up, spinning her round and round as she did so. She might as well have some fun with it. She lifted her arms out to the side, giggling.

Colton slowly brought them to a stop, spinning her slower and slower until they met the floor, locking eyes with hers. The instructor's applause brought them out of their trance. Teagan turned around, noticing the others whistling at her to convey their approval.

Teagan tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, leaning into his chest once more.

Colton chuckled. "I think we have an audience." he said, his chest rumbling with laughter.

"All right, everyone. That's it for today. Thanks for attending." The instructor said, giving each person a business card on their way out.

Teagan slowly walked out of the dance studio, with Colton following closely behind. "Thanks for the tango lesson, Miss−."

"Dana. Call me Dana." The instructor flashed them a grin, waving goodbye as the two went outside.

"You were amazing," Colton said, once they were within earshot.

"I was only following your lead," Teagan replied, looking abashed at the praise.

"A leader is only as good as his partner, Milady. I'll see you later. My mom just texted me that she needs my help babysitting my little sister this weekend."

"Maybe I can help. Besides, babysitting is a lot more fun when two people are involved, don't you think?"

Colton looked at Teagan, mulling the idea over. "Okay, let's go. I'll introduce you to my mom, and we can sort out the details later."

She didn't know why, but for some reason, the thought of babysitting with him left a strange feeling inside her chest. Maybe she was just worn out from all the dancing she did a while ago.