Chapter 17: A Reason to Smile

Infatuation is the language of a beautiful eye upon a sensitive heart.  -Joseph Bartlett

Teagan's POV

Her dad's words felt like a breath of fresh air as Teagan watched Colton shake her dad's hand. This is one of the best days of my life. She looked at the letter in hand, feeling a sense of happiness. She felt like it was just yesterday that she and him were at each other's throats. Well, it was more on her side anyway. While she was quick to lash out at him, he treated her with nothing but kindness time and time again.

"Thank you, Sir! You won't regret this." Colton said, grinning from ear to ear.

Teagan's dad put a firm grasp on his shoulder. "I better not, or there will be nowhere in this world that you can hide from me."

Colton let out a nervous laugh. "Yes, Sir," he said, looking at Teagan for help.

Teagan ran up to her, giving him a tight squeeze. "Thanks, Dad." She looked up at him. "Now, give Colton a break. Don't you think he's suffered enough already?"

Teagan's dad looked at Colton, who stood awkwardly in front of her. Her dad let out a grunt. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

Teagan gave her dad a lopsided grin. "Good, because word on the street is that Grandpa and Grandma gave you hell after they heard that you broke Mom's heart the first time, especially Grandma."

Colton snorted, then coughed when her dad gave him a glare. Teagan's dad turned to her. "H-h-how did you know about that?" he stuttered.

Teagan pointed to her mother, who winced. "Sorry, sweetie!"

Teagan's dad hung his head in defeat, looking at Colton. "You're right, Teagan. I'm...sorry," he muttered, not liking the way a smug grin appeared on Colton's face.

"Not a problem, Sir," Colton said, patting Teagan's dad on the back.

"Don't rub it in." Her dad pinched the bridge of his nose. "I may be old, but I can still kick your behind," he muttered.

Teagan let out a soft laugh.

"Well, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to grab my sketchbook from my room." she ran upstairs to go grab her sketchbook and ran back down as quickly as she came. "Got it! So...what do we do now?"

Colton tapped his chin. "Well, I've always wanted to see your artwork. Do you mind if I see some pictures?"

Teagan shifted her weight from side to side. "Sure, but please be careful. Those are the only drawings I have in that thing."

Teagan watched as Colton opened the sketchbook and looked at the drawings in awe. "Teagan...I don't know what to say."

Is it bad? Oh my god, it's probably horrible. Okay, Teagan, don't panic. You still have time to fix this monstrosity of a situation you put yourself in. Teagan pulled at her hair. "I know it looks bad, but in my defense, I'm still learning..."

Colton looked at her. "Are you kidding? This is amazing! If this is you as a beginner, I'd love to see them when you're at full potential," he praised, causing her to stutter.

"W−w−well, I....um...thanks, Colton. That means so much coming from you." Teagan stuttered, still trying to get used to receiving praise for her artwork. She giggled to herself. Colton liked her drawings. He actually liked them. Guess she should be more confident in her talents more often.

As Colton went through more of her sketches, Teagan stood in silence, her heart fluttering at the sight of him becoming so entranced by something she created.

Colton handed the sketchbook back to her, pleased with what he saw. "Don't ever doubt yourself, T, or try not to, anyway. You have the makings of being a great artist one day," he advised, walking up towards her.

Colton pressed a kiss to her forehead, causing Teagan to giggle furiously.

Teagan's father glared. "No PDA in this house."

Colton gave him a mock salute in reply, causing Teagan to erupt into a fit of laughter.

Teagan's dad muttered something incoherent, walking away from the two. Her mother shrugged in response, chasing after him.

Teagan turned to him. "So...what do you want to do for the rest of the day?"

Colton rubbed the back of his head, unsure of how to respond.

What to do...what to do... Teagan thought aloud.

The two stood in silence until an idea came to her. "We could go to a haunted house."

Colton bit his lip. "Uh, sure, that sounds great." His voice cracked, a tell-tale sign that he was hiding something.

"Hey, you okay?" she asked, noticing the way Colton's face went as a pale as a sheet.

"I'm cool. Totally cool!" Colton gave her a weak thumbs up.

"If you say so..." Teagan sang. "I'm so excited. I'm going to place the reservation. This is going to be so much fun!" She ran up the stairs, totally oblivious to her friend's inner turmoil.