9 ~ The Serpents

Taylor waited, watching as the team passed by. It took all her restraint not to jump on Jamie as he passed, a dark bruise across his jaw bone from where Nasir had punched him. Taylor clenched her hands into fists, nails digging into her palms as Jamie made eye contact with her. She let all her malice into gaze, threatening Jamie with murder if he ever made the mistake again. The message obviously got across, because Jamie flinched away.

She let herself calm down as he passed, and ended up on the ice, skating away from her. Almost everyone was on the ice, and Nasir was about to go on as well, but Taylor grabbed his elbow.

Nasir glanced down at her. "What?"

Taylor blinked at the chilliness in his voice. "I just wanted to thank you for Halloween night. I wouldn't have been able to do anything without you."

Nasir raised an eyebrow in disinterest. "You're welcome," He paused as Coach walked by and ended up on the other side of the booth. "Is Clara okay, and did she mention it to him?" He gestured towards Coach with her face.

"Clara is good, and no, she didn't."

"I was wondering why he wasn't pissed off with Jamie. Why not?"

Taylor shrugged. "It's a long story. I just don't think she wants to be a burden on her dad, plus he's a cop. It's hard enough for them already."

Nasir huffed in slight annoyance, watching as the Fort Qui Serpents entered the arena, their green uniforms pale under the light. "Okay," He clenched his hockey stick tighter, out of nervousness or anger, she couldn't tell.

"Are you still angry with me?" Taylor questioned and then promptly cursed herself as he turned his dark gaze to her. Honey turned to dark chocolate.

Nasir scoffed. "I'm not angry with you, I just think you go a little bit too far sometimes."

Taylor crossed her arms and glared at him. "Too far, what's that supposed to mean?"

"Never mind," Nasir shook his head, his hair falling into his eyes slightly as he turned to step onto the ice.

Taylor grabbed his elbow. "No, not never mind. What do you mean?"

Nasir huffed in annoyance. "I mean, you struggle to understand when you've gone too far, like right now," He pulled his arm out of her grasp. "Fuck off."

Taylor blinked in harsh surprise as he stepped out onto the ice before skating off, leaving her in baffled confusion.

"What did you do to him?" Coach asked as Taylor sat next to him at the table. "I've never seen him like that before."

Taylor shrugged, and shoved her hands into her hoodie pocket, slouching downwards. "I don't know. He was nice to me at first, but now he's pissed off at me for something, and I thought it was just because he was upset after losing the game last week, but now I must have done something."

Coach hummed in thought. "After years working for the law, and even longer knowing teenage boys, I can tell you, sometimes they are on crack."

Taylor let out a snort. "You can say that again."

"There is always a reason though. Don't let it get to you, it'll be okay," A cloudy look crossed over his face and his gaze drifted to Clara.

"Is something wrong?"

Her uncle shook his head. "Not really. I just think Clara is hiding something from me," He eyed Taylor. "She isn't the best liar. You wouldn't know anything about it, would you?"

Taylor shook her head rapidly. "No, and even if I did, I don't think I should tell you."

Her uncle hummed lightly. "Fair enough."