29 ~ First Date

"I don't know, you seemed so dedicated to quitting."

Taylor glared at her uncle, imagining herself setting fire to him. His victorious expression reminded her of the time Clara had won a month-long argument about the best type of pens. Taylor let out a heavy breath, willing herself to remain calm.

"I know you need me," Taylor began to bargain. "Nasir said you still haven't hired another first aider, and with you guys going to playoffs soon you are going to want a first aider."

The police station office that Taylor was in was decorated head to toe in various photos. Against one wall was an investigation board, covered with pictures of a little vial of sparkly colourful rocks. Her eyebrows furrowed as she read the top of it. 'Investigation of Confetti Salt' That's what Clara had gotten drugged with, and if she looked closer, she could see a description of its effects from her cousin.

Her uncle leaned back on the soft fabric of the desk chair where he had previously been working on the laptop. "I really don't know Taylor," There was a mocking tone in his voice. "You just really seemed like you wanted to quit, I don't know why you want to come back all of the sudden."

Taylor narrowed her eyes. Her uncle was trying to play games with her. Fine, she could play right back. Taylor huffed and pulled away from the desk. "Fine, if you don't want me, I'm going. Have fun finding someone else who wants to do it. You know, it is the middle of winter and the middle of nowhere."

Taylor turned and tugged her toque down over her ears tighter. She walked away, silently counting to three as she moved out of his office. She walked through the rest of the police station.

She had made it to the exit and was about to push it open when footsteps sounded after her. She made to move out the door when her uncle called out.

"Stop!"

Taylor grinned cheekily to herself and spun around. "Yes, Uncle?"

Her uncle looked in physical pain having to admit defeat and he groaned as if he was in physical pain. "Fine. You win."

Taylor smiled at him. "I thought you didn't want me back."

Coach rolled his eyes. "I need you back as the first aider. Please come back."

"Okay," Taylor laughed. "I'll see you later this week."

Her uncle gave her a thumbs up. "Thank you for coming back," He paused for a second. "Oh, and tell Aubrey I say goodbye and I hope she has fun in Italy. She better come back tanned."

Taylor nodded. "I'll let her know."

She walked out of the doors and shuffle jogged to the truck, where Jacob was sitting, waiting in the passenger seat. She opened the driver's side door and hopped in shaking off the -30 chill from the wind.

"Did you do it?" Jacob questioned.

Taylor nodded rapidly, blowing into her hands then putting them in front of the heater, which was blasting hot air into the truck.

"What did he say?" Jacob tilted his head, almost resembling a golden retriever in his impatience to be answered.

"He said I'm back on the team."

Jacob let out a cheer and pumped his fist in the air. "That's awesome. I'm glad you're back now," His eyebrows furrowed. "One thing though, I want no disgusting affection between you and Nasir. Understand?"

Taylor rolled her eyes as she pulled on her seatbelt. "You are ridiculous."

"I will drag you out of the arena myself," Jacob threatened. "Don't test me."