25 ~ Problems On The Doorstep

"Taylor."

"Fuck off, Jacob." Taylor groaned, digging her head farther into the pillows and blankets on her side of the bed. It was too early for this.

She could sense the night that was still behind the pale pink curtains, sprawling across the bed and coaxing with a gentle voice, calling her back to sleep. She had been dreaming. About what, she couldn't remember, but it was a cute dream, and she wanted to go back.

He grumbled slightly, and she could sense him shifting next to her in bed to lie down on his back. "Do you think if we go up now and snatch those knitted sweaters, that we won't have to wear them all day today?"

"You woke me up early on Christmas eve to ask me to go kidnap a sweater?" She barked.

Taylor flopped over on the bed and glared at Jacob, who's hair was mildly messy and his face still blurry with sleep. She ran a hand down her face in a half-hearted attempt to wake herself. "Please tell me you are joking."

He shook his head. "Please, I don't want to get caught and I need a lookout if we are going to throw them into the fire."

Taylor let out a whine and tugged the blankets up to her shoulder. "Fine, but you owe me."

"Sweet," He bounced out of bed, suddenly no longer drawn in by the tempting warmth. "Let's go!"

Taylor sighed and tugged on the sweater she had left by the bed. Jacob had already vanished into the hallway, and as she stepped out, he was waiting expectantly at the bottom of the stairs. He tilted his head upwards and she nodded, going up before him and ducking her head out quickly.

No one was in the living room, and she stepped out, walking quickly to the tree. There were two parcels sitting, with large letters on them spelling out the names.

Taylor was about to step forwards to grab them when her grandmother's voice made her jump with surprise.

"Hello Taylor dear, do you want some coffee?"

Taylor looked back down at Jacob, who was groaning with defeat. They were going to be subject to another year of itchy Christmas sweaters. He came up behind her and followed her into the kitchen, where their grandma stood, holding a coffee pot. She was wearing a floor long emerald green dressing gown and had curlers in her hair.

"Yes please, black is fine."

"And you Jacob? How about toast?"

Jacob shook his head. "No thank you Grandma, not yet."

She smiled and ruffled his hair before pulling out another mug and pouring a large cup of coffee for Taylor. She poured herself a cup and took a sip as well.

Taylor smiled and took it happily, taking a sip of it.

"I made you two sweaters!" She cheered, placing down the coffee pot and heading into the living room, where two suspiciously lumpy wrapped packages were sitting under the tree. She picked them each up and brought them back, handing the one covered in penguins and snowflakes to Taylor.

Taylor and Jacob exchanged a weak glance before Taylor put down her cup and pried at the tape, opening the package.

She pulled out the sweater and blinked in pleasant surprise. It seemed her grandma's knitting skills had improved in the past year. It was navy blue and had little snowflakes woven into the fabric.

"I thought it would go nice with your hair, dear."

Taylor nodded. "It's wonderful, Grandma. I love it."

She turned and looked at Jacob, who was smiling, but there was a fake gleam in his eyes. His sweater was a stylish mustard yellow and had Rudolph on it.