34. Confessions

"(y/n), Eren, we need to talk to you about something." Reiner spoke softly. Curious, Eren and (y/n) followed him silently away from the group, as they were all speculating over the impossibility of titans within the walls without a wall breach.

"What is it?" (y/n) question Berthold and Reiner.

"Five years ago..." Reiner started, not preparing anyone sufficiently of what was to come, "Berthold and I destroyed Wall Maria, and began our attack on humanity. He's the Colossal titan. I'm the Armored Titan."

There was a short silence. (y/n) had lost her tongue. Or the ability to breathe.

"Wh-, what are you saying?" Eren asked, his voice trembling.

"Reiner what're you-?!" Berthold began, but Reiner cut him off.

"Our goal was to wipe out the whole of humanity. But now.. There's no need to do that anymore. Eren, (y/n), if you come with us, we won't have to destroy any more walls. Understand? But you have to come now. Think about it, no more chaos for now if you come." Reiner urged.

"R-, right now?" Eren stammered.

Eren and (y/n) should be beyond shocked. However, Armin and Hanji, the brains of it all had already spoken up about this possibility a few nights prior, when (y/n) and Eren were still healing from their battle with Annie.

"Annie grew up in the same place as Reiner and Berthold... They awlays stuck together as well, right? So-, have you four ever noticed anything... odd? About the three of them?" Hanji spoke to Mikasa, Armin, Eren and (y/n), one evening late at night. Levi and some others were also present.

They couldn't think of anything, just because Annie was a traitor of humanity didn't instantly mean that Reiner and Berthold were too, right? Only Armin was the one to have made a shocking realization.

"Hang on..." he started, his eyes widening, "on the expedition... Annie attacked me and Reiner in her titan form... She had grabbed Reiner in her hand, he cut his way out, and after that... Annie stared at her hand, and completely changed direction." Armin began trembling when he came to his conclusion. "A-and, just before that, Reiner asked me what Eren and (y/n)'s location was... He-, he-, he carved it in her hand..! From the beginning they were working together!" Armin squealed.

"Wh-, why would you say something awful like that!?" Eren countered, as usual, not wanting to believe it.

"Hang on, Eren, think about it. We'll keep this in mind, and we make sure that Berthold and Reiner don't know that we suspect them. If this-, if this is true, they'll out themselves soon enough." Spoke Hanji.

"How is it that we can't trust anyone... We've known these guys for three years, day in day out we were together!? Why would they-," (y/n) mumbled aloud. She stopped herself when she saw Hanji's face. (y/n) knew the evidence for suspicion was there. She knew it was stupid and naive to try and go against what was becoming almost painfully obvious.

"I know, (y/n). But it's late, so everyone should get some sleep." Hanji spoke as she walked past (y/n), resting a hand on her shoulder. The others left as well.

"(y/n)." Levi spoke. She looked at him, and he motioned her over with his head. She walked up to him, her face still distraught. Levi was leaning against a wooden counter in the torch-lit room. He raised his hand to her chin and lifted it slightly.

"Cheer up, kid." he spoke softly. There were only a few people left in the room, talking among themselves. (y/n) frowned questioningly and subconsciously pursed her lips.

"Why would I cheer up? This situation is pure shit." she reminded him. He grabbed the bottom of her jacket and tugged her closer.

"Because it would make me happy." he muttered in a low voice, looking down at her. She swallowed.