07 | peanut butter and naners

DEDICATED TO BILAAD

since day one, you have been so kind and someone that I can always relate to. there's a calming presence to our friendship and I think that's what I love the most about us. I hope you give yourself much needed rest but start writing again soon! I love your writing c':

HAVEN COULD NOT stop laughing to the point that I thought our half-digested mimosas would somehow erupt in her stomach, up towards her nasal cavity, and out of her nostrils

East had spewed another funny, awkward comment as he stumbled to keep up with our conversations that it rendered me speechless to see how much Haven was enjoying the scene.

But it wasn't just her that was having a good time.

"So you're telling me," my father started saying as she stroked his chin, "that even if you had the choice, you'd rather be a sidekick than a superhero?

"Yes, sir. I don't know, I guess I've never liked being the center of attention," East simply said, shrugging his shoulders with ease.

"Not even Batman?" my dad passionately cried.

"Batman's not even an actual superhero. He just has money," Haven claimed as she downed her last glass.

"But lots of it is used for his gadgets that help people. Plus he's really smart and handsome. Kind of like me," my father explained, running a hand through his salt and pepper hair.

My mom jokingly slapped his back. "Aigoo, ouli ga na ie leul mahni muguhsuh. We are getting old."

"Ahniyeo uhmuhneem. Not at all, mother," East argued with the dismissal of his hand, "qualities like wisdom and beauty often come with age. And both of you are no exception."

"Nuhmu jal saengyeoseo! You are so handsome!" My mother reached over to pinch East's cheeks and while most people would feel uncomfortable from only meeting once before, East had this receiving aura of him that absorbed every moment. It helped that he was Korean and knew this was not a strange occurrence, even though I could tell that those in the cafe thought otherwise.

"I hope you don't talk that way to all women," my father stated with a stern tone, swatting my mother's hands away from bothering the poor kid.

East quickly shook his head. "No ahbuhneem. No, father. I've never gotten the chance to."

"So are you saying you would if you had the chance to?"

East blushed furiously. "A-ahniyeo, no, that is not what I meant--"

"Stop torturing the boy!" my mother teased, nudging my dad with an incredulous look to her face.

"I can tell you're a good person," my father finally admitted, "but that doesn't mean I won't have all eyes on you. Just take care of my Jin Ae, take care of yourself, and take care of each other. Got it you two?"