08 | too many mimosas

DEDICATED TO ANNA

thank you for writing THE sweetest comments...I don't deserve you but here we are. it's been a pleasure to not only have you read my stories but to read your own beautiful works. my eyes truly have been blessed. please, please, please keep updating because I know your talent will take you far. I hope you are well, and I will be looking forward to reading your future comments !!!!!!! muah <33

IF SOMEONE HAD told me two days ago, that I would be throwing up in East's toilet because of a question that only I would be dreading to hear, I would have laughed

IF SOMEONE HAD told me two days ago, that I would be throwing up in East's toilet because of a question that only I would be dreading to hear, I would have laughed. More precisely, I would have called myself a coward. Because here was this sweet man who was proposing to me with, what seemed to be his whole heart, even though we both agreed that everything was fake. That everything was a setup.

My insides churned and I doubled over the toilet seat that my hands tirelessly had been gripping onto for the past ten minutes.

Thankfully, Isla had also been with me during that time and had religiously held my hair back and patted my back like I wasn't a full-fledged twenty-two year old or anything. "You good, girl?"

I wiped my bottom lip with a scrunched up wad of toilet paper that I retrieved. "I think I just had way too many mimosas to drink."

"You could say that again," Isla joked.

My head was spinning at this point so that I redirected my mouth's position back towards the toilet. When nothing seemed to come up after a solid minute later, I flushed the toilet and closed the seat.

Finally, I leaned back against the bathtub to the right of the toilet and confessed, "East asked me to marry him."

Isla's expression lingered between a sense of confusion and surprise, most likely considering how she probably never knew or heard about me until today. Instead of asking for the details as I thought she would, however, she directed the conversation towards a standpoint that I couldn't even really answer myself.

"I don't really understand. Why is that bad?" she asked.

I was going to tell her everything.

I was going to tell her about that night at the grove where after my terrible date went wrong, I met a boy who was going to change my life. I was going to tell her about that dinner with my parents and how looking at the "congratulations" cake after I was told I was to marry someone I didn't even know, made me want to throw up all over again. I was going to tell her about the wedding dresses I tried on that made me look beautiful yet feel nauseated because getting tied down wasn't what I wanted. I was going to tell her how despite feeling all of these overwhelming emotions, the only thing keeping me sane was East's wickedly gorgeous smile and kind soul.