18 | east and azar pt. 2

DEDICATED TO HIM

you taught me a lot about myself.

how to love, how to not love, how to properly care for another human being, how to forgive, how to forgive myself, how to be okay, and most importantly, how to let things go. I thought that I would never forgive you and all that you put me through...but after days of attempting to do just that, I realized that the true objective was to forgive the things I put myself through. the things that I let slide because I loved you; because I didn't love me enough. letting you go was hard, admitting to myself that you weren't the right person for me was harder, but walking away solely for the sake of my well being, was the hardest thing I had to.

our story was bittersweet, but all I want to say now is thank you for leading me to freedom.

AZAR'S UBER DRIVER reeked of mothballs, musky cologne, and cigarettes, that she almost couldn't believe how she had lasted throughout the entire car ride to the airport without puking all over his worn down leather seats

AZAR'S UBER DRIVER reeked of mothballs, musky cologne, and cigarettes, that she almost couldn't believe how she had lasted throughout the entire car ride to the airport without puking all over his worn down leather seats. Unfortunately for her, his voice or rather his breath, crashed through the barrier of protection she had built around herself after only five minutes of being in the vehicle.

"Ma'am?"

She trained her nose to briefly stop its ventilation process and spoke softly through her mouth. "Yes?"

"You...okay?" he asked with his thick, Asian accent that immediately reminded her of her father's tendency to tell jokes in broken English but have the perfect pronunciation for every other occassion.

"I'm okay." She smiled meekly towards the rearview mirror from her position in the backseat, meeting the eyes of the oddly friendly driver.

"Then why you look like that? All long face?"

She allowed herself to release a trail of laughter, almost forgetting that there were very prominent, unpleasant smells floating around her very vicinity.

At least he seemed nice.

"I'm leaving a lot of important people to go chase my dreams." The words tumbled out of her mouth so naturally that she had to pinch herself to make sure that it was real. That she was actually in a car with a very pecuiliar Uber driver who was taking her to a place that she had been to countless times before but that only this time, she didn't know when she was ever going to come back to LAX.

A few nights before the morning of her flight, she had booked a one-way ticket to Seoul, South Korea, a place she always knew she would call home one day.

Call it a deeply-rooted intuition or something, but she just knew that her next career move would be something so grand, so primed to perfection, that if anyone else were to look at it, they'd see it as a "too good to be true" situation rather than a once in a lifetime opportunity.