13 | east & azar

DEDICATED TO AMES

your level of excitement for each one of my chapters always fills me with so much joy ~ and for that, I am beyond thankful to have readers like you that motivate me to keep writing. I am also very thankful for the little "nugget" (wiggles eyebrows) of wisdom you dropped on my board as 2020 has definitely been a year of surprises. if there's anything I realized this year, however, is how much the little things matter in life, even more so than the big events. I hope you're safe and doing well!

EAST AND I  sat across from each other in the same cafe we had gone to after my wedding dress fitting, our hands, East's doubling in size, sitting interlocked in the center of the table as we patiently waited for our food to arrive, his thumb gent...

EAST AND I sat across from each other in the same cafe we had gone to after my wedding dress fitting, our hands, East's doubling in size, sitting interlocked in the center of the table as we patiently waited for our food to arrive, his thumb gently grazing mine.

"How did you sleep last night?" East asked with his sweet, signature smile.

"The best sleep I've had in days." I rolled my eyes teasingly. "I think all the wedding planning we've been doing has been tiring me out."

"Tell me about it. That day we went to go see the first batch of venues, I couldn't even make it to my room and ended up sleeping on my couch."

I snorted. "I think your exhaustion probably stems from work, no?" 

East sent me a boyish grin as he waved his free hand, dismissing my statment. "Of  course not," he said, "if I'm being completely honest, I actually enjoy working. It's just the long hours of standing that make it tiring." 

I felt my facial features contorting as I winced. "I'm sorry. Planning for the wedding must be tough on top of that." 

"Don't even say that. I enjoy doing those things because I get to do them with you," East firmly stated. It was then I noticed that even through his stern stature, his gentle nature still peeked through the softened corners of his earthly, brown eyes. I found myself falling into them even when the food, my banana pancakes and East's vegetable omelette reached our table, the lovely aroma of warmth and sweetness wrapping around me.

East picked up his eating utensils from its stoic position on the napkin next to him and cut his omelette into pieces, sticking one piece with his fork. As I continued to carefully watch his every movement, he brought the fork closer to me and my slightly agape mouth, gesturing for me to take a bite. 

I opened my mouth, the tasteful flavors of the roasted vegetables shining through. "Mm," I hummed, my shoulders relaxing in contentment the more I chewed. 

"Is it good?" East expectantly inquired as he plopped a piece into his own mouth. 

I nodded eagerly as the giddiness of delicious food later prompted me to dive into my own plate, fork and knife in hand. I pushed my plate of pancakes, all cut up in bite-sized pieces, towards him as East pushed his plate towards me – a monumental action of solidifying the friendship we had so thoughtfully formed in the short span of time together.