6. The End Of Summer

Y/N's POV

Me and Draco were spending our last few days before Hogwarts together, we would try out spells and play Quidditch in the garden. Turns out I knew more magic than I thought, me and Draco had already got our books for our fifth year and truth be told, I was nervous. I would be new to Hogwarts this year and everyone else would've settled in and I would be there. I went by Y/N at home but apparently I would go by my middle name, F/N when Hogwarts started. My mother and father, Lucius and Narcissa, would rarely allow me or Draco to leave the house. I wasn't allowed to go to the Diagon Alley Draco always told me about to get my books.

Two days before we were due to leave for Hogwarts there was a visitor at the house, his name was Professor Snape and he had a look of utmost hatred when he saw me. Me and Draco were told to go to our rooms but I stayed by the stairs to try and eavesdrop.

"Was that him?" Snape asked my father with a cold voice.

Lucius nodded. "Yes, it is your duty to protect him from what the Dark Lord plans for now and to make sure he is safe. The less exposed he is to his past, the better."

The words were muffled but I could just about make out what they were saying, my past? Sure my childhood seemed hazy but I pushed those concerns out my mind.

Snape's lip curled and he nodded. "It won't be long until he finds out but of course, I will help him."

"He will be in Slytherin." Lucius added.

Severus Snape raised his eyebrows. "I will see what I can do, naturally the Headmaster will be informed."

"If that is necessary then, of course, I suppose he will know of the Dark Lord's plan." Lucius said.

Snape nodded, grabbed his long black cloak, and dismissed himself from our house.

"Y/N! Draco! Dinner!" my mother shouted and I jumped up from where I was and walked down with Draco and we went to our dining room and proceeded with dinner.

Dinner was a basic event, our family rarely talked and we all ate our food and light conversation was made every once in a while. Not long after, me and Draco were dismissed to our room and quickly found ourselves talking into the late hours of the night before sleeping.

Third Person POV

Draco Malfoy was confused, he used to despise Y/N but after spending weeks bonding and acting like brothers, he found himself having a soft spot for the Mudblood lover. He had made it his duty to protect Y/N at Hogwarts since his parents wouldn't be there and also Y/N would be exposed to old friends and his real brother. Draco often stayed up late thinking about how he was going to deal with this situation, he despised Potter, he despised Weasley and most of all he despised that filthy Mudblood, Granger.

But when Y/N would be introduced back to them, Y/N would have to pick a side, Draco or his old friends. Draco knew for a fact that Potter and his gang would stop at nothing to get their fourth companion back, and honestly, Draco wasn't ready to let go of the amazing time he had spent with Y/N. It was nice having a brother, someone else to talk to, it got awfully lonely in his household and his parents rarely interacted with him. With Y/N there, he felt like this loneliness he felt when away from Hogwarts, the loneliness that fuelled him to be such an arrogant prick, he felt like it was gone.

The day of departure to Hogwarts, Y/N was looking like any other Malfoy, the backstory was that Y/N was F/N, Draco's brother transferred from Durmstrang. And the scar across his face was not a a souvenir from Voldemort's killing curse on him or a mark from Sirius Black's attack but instead a scar from a Quidditch incident years ago. There was nothing else to be said apart from the fact Draco had never mentioned him because he was sent to live another family in Bulgaria. Any other questions, Draco would have to improvise answers.

"Draco! How was your summer?" asked Blaise Zabini, entering the compartment both Y/N and Draco were in. "Who's this?" he asked with an arched eyebrow.

Draco followed the backstory. "This is F/N, he's my brother."

Y/N nodded, he had also been told the backstory. He was told this was the actual truth and since his memory had been altered, he believed it easily.

"Brother?" Zabini asked in shock.

Draco nodded and explained the whole situation, having to repeat it several times as each of the members in his friendship group entered the compartment.

During the journey, Draco and a girl named Pansy Parkinson excused themselves to leave. Draco beckoned for Y/N to come join him and Y/N nodded. Draco's friends didn't dare question what Draco was doing, they just ignored him.

"Why is he coming with us?" asked Pansy, she looked very disappointed, it seemed like she wouldn't be getting any alone time with Draco.

"Father's orders." Draco said quickly before walking to where the Prefects were to meet.

Y/N's POV

I had found it quite weird when Draco asked me to come with him, since he was Prefect and I wasn't. Nonetheless, I followed him because I liked being in his presence and I didn't like his friends.

"We're almost here." Draco muttered before he opened a compartment door.

"Ah, you must be the Slytherin Prefects." the Head Girl said. Draco and Pansy nodded.

"Who's the other guy?" asked the Head Boy.

"My brother, he's new here and father says that he needs to be with me at all times." Draco replied smoothly. "Any objections and I will be telling my father."

No one objected. Everyone seemed quite shocked that Draco had a brother. I then decided to go introduce myself. "I'm Y-F/N Malfoy." I internally cursed for almost using my first name, my parents gave me strict rules to only use my middle name. "I transferred from Durmstrang and I'm a Slytherin."

During this I surveyed the room, no one really caught my attention until I made eye contact with this girl. She was stunning, she had bushy brown hair and these chocolate brown eyes, I was staring at her and she noticed, blushing slightly. The boy next to her, who had ginger hair, saw and gave me a stern look, causing me to retreat slightly behind Draco.

The meeting passed quickly and I found myself leaving, I wanted to get the girl's name but Draco and Pansy left quickly and returned to our previous compartment. Not long after we returned, Draco's friends suggested us to pay Harry Potter a visit. The name sounded oddly familiar but I dismissed it as Draco got up and asked me to come with him. Something about Draco made it seem like he didn't want to go, but his friends were egging him on so he went.

We made our way to a compartment and Draco slid the door open, inside were different people but the two I recognised was the girl from the Prefect meeting and the ginger haired boy who I assumed was her boyfriend.

"What?" a boy with jet-black hair said quite agressively.

"Manners Potter," Draco said with a smirk, "or I'll have to give you detention. You see, unlike you, I've been made Prefect. Which means I can hand out punishments."

Draco had a cruel tone to him and he didn't seem like the person he was during summer, perhaps he was a different person in school.

Draco's teasing continued. "Tell me Potter, how does it feel to be second best to Weasley?"

Draco let out a laugh, alongside Crabbe and Goyle so I felt compelled to laugh as well.

"Got a new bodyguard this year Malfoy? Too scared of me?" Harry Potter retorted, motioning to me.

"That's my brother Potter, not my bodyguard." Draco sneered. Harry looked shocked.

"Brother?" he said, confused.

"Yes Potter, I said my brother." Draco replied.

I stepped forward and poked my head into the compartment. "I'm F/N, nice to meet you." I said cheerfully, Draco didn't seem to like it and I was forced out the compartment.

When we left I confronted him. "What was that for?"

Draco sighed. "That was to protect you. They're bad people, you don't want to be associated with them."