004

I TRIED TO keep my voice low as I laughed at a video Lennon sent to me on Twitter. My eyes quickly caught the time on the screen and I knew I should be sleeping already, but a stubborn part of me still wanted to watch Arthur.

Arthur was one of my favorite movies. It was so cheesy, but it brought all kinds of smiles to my face every time I watched it. I bit my lower lip as I began to type in a reply to Lennon when I felt it the urge to clear my throat, except this time, it was a familiar, but unfamiliar feeling.

I did it anyway, for the sake of not suppressing my tics, but I frowned and felt my eyebrows furrow.

I had never had that tic before.

“Riley?” Mom called as she sat up in her bed.

I moved from her door frame and walked closer to her bed. I could feel my voice crack when I asked, “Can I sleep with you?” 

“Are you okay?” She asked, nodding as she patted the space beside her.

I got on the bed, quiet before feeling Mom wrap her arm around me.

“I ticked,” I told her.

“That’s okay. It’s been almost four hours since your last tic—”

“No, it was a new one.” I said quietly.

“A new one? What was it?”

“I cleared my throat. I’ve never done that before—  I thought I was getting better,” my voice broke, and I felt my eyes well with tears.

“You are. . .” Mom sat up and pulled me into a hug as the tears escaped my eyes. “Don’t cry. I hate that you have to go through this, but I’m right here and I won’t go anywhere. I just need you to breathe,” Mom’s voice went from thick to soft.

I listened to her speak and my sobs reduced, and before I knew it, I was consumed by sleep.

“Noah, can you please, please take Riley to Simon’s? I would have gone with her, but I just got a call from a client, and it’s quite important, I have to stay home to go over some things with her,” Mom looked hopefully at Noah the next day.

“You don’t have to ask, Madison,” Noah replied.

“You’re awesome,” she sighed in relief before turning to look at me, “Tell Simon everything, okay? I’m sorry I can’t go with you,” she kissed my forehead.

“One thing, though,” Noah gritted his teeth and pressed his lips together. “My car’s really messed up, I didn’t come with it.”
Mom chuckled and handed him her car keys, “Use my car, then, but be careful.”

“You know you can trust me,” Noah playfully winked.

“What’s wrong with your car?” I asked Noah as I buckled my seat belt.

“Squeaky brake,” he answered simply.

“You should take it to a mechanic.”

“I would, but I don’t have the money to fix a car problem right now,” he pulled away from the house and glanced at the rearview mirror before glancing briefly glancing at me too. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Okay, so why am I taking you to Simon’s?”

“Is that subtle sarcasm I hear?”