032

I WOKE UP Thanksgiving morning feeling hopeful and happy. I couldn't help but notice it was a bit chilly, and as I walked down the stairs, I dramatically sniffed at the aroma wafting in the air. I strongly believed that no one has really lived until they have Mom's baked turkey. It was one of the best things ever.

Me and Mom had gone out the day before to get all the ingredients that she needed for today. We also bought some extra things so we wouldn't have to go out the next day. The Friday following Thanksgiving was always a bit chaotic with people in a frenzy of rage, and stepping on each other's foots because of the Black Friday shopping. Black Friday never really made any sense to me and Mom. Contrary to its purpose, there was nothing nice about it.

"Happy Thanksgiving, honey. I'm so, so grateful for you," Mom gave me a tight hug when she saw me.

"Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Mom."

The first people to arrive were Simon and his sons who ran in immediately to give Mom a hug shouting, "Happy Thanksgiving, Madison!"

One thing about Simon was he wouldn't come without something, so when he dropped a basket of super gooey chocolate chip cookies, brownies and two jars; one containing a fruit punch and the other containing what looked like cocktail infused with lemons, I smiled to myself. Mason came next, and the moment I opened the door, he dived right into leaving sloppy kisses all over my face.

"Hey, where's Cheyenne?" I asked him, referring to his girlfriend.

"Unfortunately, she had to work today. "

Why did people have to work on Thanksgiving? I always thought it was quite unfair because they had families too.

River and Renée appeared on the doorsteps shortly and I couldn't be happier.

"I've missed you so much, I couldn't wait to see you," Renée said as she gave me a long and tight hug.

A box of chocolate and strawberry cake in River's hands, he planted a kiss on top of my head and moved to the kitchen.

"I missed you too, Renée."

When Marley arrived, we managed an awkward greeting, but at least I helped her carry in the large bouquet of flowers she brought. Noah was the last one to arrive, and he surprisingly turned up with a basket.

"I didn't know what to bring, but I made an apple pie and a vegetable salad," I looked at him, amused. " - didn't have much time left so I bought some sparkling wine, too."

"I have to say that I'm impressed," I gave him a teasing smile and took the basket from him to drop it in the kitchen.

Minutes later, Mom had successfully gotten everyone to leave the kitchen. Not because Simon and Mason kept picking at what she was making, but because it was against her nature on Thanksgiving to use the help of anyone in the kitchen, only except the person was there for company purposes. While Simon, Mason, River and Noah were going back forth on a hot debate topic, Drew and Luke were playing games, running around the house and laughing. Renée and Marley talked for a while before Marley went to the kitchen to keep Mom company.

I wrapped my arms around Renée and rested my head on her shoulder- something I loved to do. "How's med school?"

"Ugh, med school is killing me. Wrapping up third year gradually, but I have to admit it was better than first and second year combined."

"How so?" I questioned.

"Well, first and second year was basically just me going to classes and have lab time, dissecting and all that yucky stuff, but third year's more of rotations in hospitals, interacting with patients and performing basic medical procedures."