12: Arlone'a

"Trying to avoid me, boy?" Joelis Arlon said across the lawn

Eron gave an irritated sigh and forced his feet to approach the old reliq. Standing at six and half feet tall, the man in his early fifties was a ferocious beast. His wild dark hair was slithering in silver of unholy wisdom and his glare chilled Eron to the bones. He was the worst person to cross for any reason, for any person. It still amazed Eron and everyone how Dimitri hadn't retired his uncle the day Thaddeus died.

"Is it that obvious?" Eron said keeping a cautious distance.

He recalled being struck by the man three times since receiving his position as commander, but they were not as painful as the literal scars the man left on his body from the time he began to crawl. His burn scar still itched from time to time.

Joelis clasped his hands together in front of himself, a calm move Eron knew too well. He wasn't upset, he was burning on fire.

"I wished to discuss important matters, but you decided to be immature."

"Immature? No. I am your commander, remember? I have more important matters to address than running to your every summons."

"I am still your elder prince, boy. What I want is more important," Joelis growled.

Eron scuffed a laugh and did a terrible thing by glancing towards the palace afar. The giant of a beast had silent feet and almost moved with the air. He managed to claim a few steps forward causing Eron to sharply intake. A devilish grin crossed Joelis' face revealing new wrinkles.

"You mock me boy?" Joelis grumbled. The aches the amberia leaves were supposed to suppress resurfaced. Eron's heart skipped a beat, but he kept his chin high and composure prepared for a strike.

"It amuses me how you still refer yourself as a prince," Eron boldly said. "Criston and Vontre made sure you and Thaddeus' titles were revoked. Just because Thadd swam his way into marrying Lania doesn't reestablish your title."

"You speak as if you do not consider yourself a prince as well?" Joelis said with a deepthroated chuckle. "Never let anyone take away what belongs to you. Never."

Eron gasped, red eyes widening in his shock. "How'd you... You know?"

"Of course, I know you belong to Dimitri," Joelis said stepping so close to Eron he could smell the man's strong rum on his breath.

He swallowed, lost for words as he searched the man's face for him to explain.

"My father's blood runs through your veins, boy," Joelis said.

A tremble of terror shot up his spine. It did occur to him occasionally how he was related to the Pirate Lord Arlone'a, meaning The Death. Almost fifty years ago, the vicious pirate swept across the west and northwest of Valeera with his eyes set on being a king. He usurped the Ardanian throne from King Criston Lariius who fortunately was visiting his wife, Queen Gesimani of Gorana, at the time. Out of a tense ransom, Arlone'a released Criston's son Vontre and other family members and ruled for five years. The man enslaved almost everyone and killed at least half the number of people the Golden King slaughtered.