Chapter 19

Here you go ! This chapter extra long - just for you guys!

Much love (: I really appreciate it.

Comment, Fan, Vote, Smile, Believe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The knob turned and I tossed the door back, looking around the hall. No one was in sight. I walked out slowly and down the stairs, keeping my eyes peeled. I stepped into the kitchen and sighed in relief. Thanking my lucky stars that Clara left earlier than us, for this room was empty too.

    "Boo!" Cain whispered in my ear, making me jump forward a few meters. He looked at me confused as I put a hand over my heart. I forced the only part of my face he could see, my lips, to smile. It was fake and I didn't know if he could tell.

 "Why are you wearing a hoodie?" He questioned, suspicious.

  "Because it's cold." I lied, easily.

 He still looked at me even more suspiciously, but shrugged it off. Cain would never suspect about the bruises, he had seen me not twenty minutes ago with flawless skin. Thanks, makeup. Jake and Casey flew us, nearly creating a wind in their haste.

  "Slow down!" I yelped. Cain chuckled.

 "Always responsible." He teased, patting my head.

  As soon as his hand made contact with my bump, pain shot through my body. It sparked nerve endings and weakened my knees. They turned to jelly and I dropped like lead. Damn.

  Before my body hit the ground, Cain caught me by my waist. My heart was already beating fast at the possibility of getting caught, and his touch wasn't helping.

  "Whoa, there. You okay?"

  I didn't even look up. I jumped out of his hold and sped for the door. He was calling after me but, I ignored it. I knew he wouldn't say anything about it in front of Casey and Jake. I hopped into the car and waited as Cain bustled out of the house, black hair wild.

  He gave me a dirty look, but just started the car. Jake and Casey kept up a steady conversation and I focused on that, not on the stare that was burning a hole through my hood.

  "Dude, did you hear all that bumping last night?" Jake asked.

I caught my breath.

  "Yeah! It was like banging and crap." Casey nodded.

"It stopped after a few minutes but, I was close to bringing a bat downstairs." Jake responded.

 "Did you hear it, Cain?" Casey questioned, curious. Cain turned his intense stare away from me and nodded.

 "Sure did. But, as soon as I put my hand on the door handle to check, it stopped. So I went back to bed." He said, shrugging.

 I was abruptly angry, my hands clenching into fists. He  couldn't have checked on everyone after hearing such a thing? He could have caught dad! He could have helped me.

Tears pricked my eyes.

"Did you, Kat?" Jake spoke again.

I swallowed the anger and sadness and slightly nodded.

  "Umm, yeah. Totally weird. Probably just a racoon or something." My voice shook but, the others didn't notice. Cain was the only one who stared at me a little longer than usual.

 We dropped off Casey and Jake and parked in Autumn High's lot. I left the car, without saying anything. Cain followed behind silently, like a ghost. I knew he was waiting for someone to say something.