Chapter 22

Here you go! A Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper-long chapter , just for you! This is how much I love you guys ;D Thank me later. I'm back, by the way. Heehee. Enjoy.

Fan, Comment, Vote, Smile, Believe. <33

__________________________________________________________________________

"We're home!" Cain called, pulling me in behind him, our hands intertwined. Casey and Jake trudged in after.

Clara met us halfway to the kitchen, looking uneasy.

"Hey," She greeted, voice tense. I left Cain's side, slightly missing the feeling of his hand in mine. I stepped in front of Clara and put a comforting hand on her arm.

"Are you okay, Clara? You seem.. off."

  She swallowed once and smiled, a relieved one. Her amber eyes turned to Cain.

 "Cain, family's visiting."

 With those three words, Cain's eyes hardened. His jaw turned tense like it had been almost all day long.

 "When?" The words themselves sounded too harsh.

 Clara sighed.

"Tonight."

 "What?! Such short notice?! Why?"

Clara rubbed her temples and I could hear her teeth grinding together.

  "I had told Aunt Alexis about you and Kat, and she blabbed to your father's side,"

 Jake and Cain paled, looking angry and unsure. I skipped back a few steps, taking Cain's hand in my own, knowing he needed something to hold onto. He squeezed it almost painfully. Clara spoke again.

  "Maybe you should explain to Kat, baby."

I turned to Cain, but he didn't look at me. His eyes focused on the ground. After a minute he looked up and nodded once to his mom.

 "Casey should be kept away. Preferably upstairs with Jake- he may come down a few times throughout the night."

 Casey looked at me and I shrugged, signaling it was her decision.

 "Alright."

 With that everyone set into motion. Clara fluttered away, off the clean something. Jake took Casey upstairs and began giving her instructions in hushed tones and Cain dragged me upstairs to the white room.

  I sat down on the soft comforter, while Cain still stood. He paced in front of me a little bit and shook out his black hair.

 "Look," He paused. "There are still a few things you don't know about me."

I put on a mock-surprised expression, unzipping my hoodie. I tossed it to the other side of the room.

 "Something I don't know? Gasp."

 He gave me a stern look but, paused when he realized I didn't have on my jacket anymore. Most likely because he could see my face. He kneeled down in front of me and took my hand. My heart stopped, then picked up in double time.

 "My family isn't... how do I put it? Understanding."

 I waited for Cain to elaborate, but he didn't. He just stared up at me from beneath his lashes, emerald eyes cautious. A heavy silence clung to the air. He stood up and sat next to me on the bed and hugged me to his side. I froze, surprised by the sudden affection. After a second, I relaxed.