CHAPTER FOUR

When I finally reach my floor, I breathe a sigh of relief. Alone at last and finally able to get some sleep.

The elevator door opens and I walk out without paying any attention. I walk smack into another person walking towards me.

"Woah," a guy says, grabbing my arm to balance me. I'm still kind of shaky in my drunken state, but recover my balance rather quickly.

I look up at him and notice it's James from downstairs earlier. He still has on the khaki shorts, but had changed his shirt to a plain black t shirt. His hazel eyes shine down at me behind his glasses.

"You okay?" he asks and releases my arm. I unconsciously sigh loudly.

He chuckles. "Rough night?"

"Just a long one." I answered.

"Same."

I glance down the hall and realize that everyone is probably passed out by now. Nobody's likely to still be awake at this hour.

"Are you okay?" I ask, wondering why he's wandering the halls by himself.

"Oh, yeah," He says and runs a hand through his hair. "I'm just in charge of this floor. It's my job to make sure that nobody's dead or dying in the halls as they come back from the bar." He explains, clearly as exhausted as I am.

"Glamorous." I retort and he smiles a little.

"Well, it helps pay for my rent. So, I guess if pretty girls get themselves so drunk that they need me to help them to their room, who am I to say no." he stuffs his hands in his pockets.

I raise a brow, and his brown eyes widen in alarm. "Oh, I didn't mean...I meant..." his face goes dark red.

"Well," I say, getting him to stop his stammering. "I could use some help getting to my room." I smile.

His face flushes even more, but he leads me down the hall anyway.

As we approach my door, which I'm assuming he knows is mine because my name is taped up on it with masking tape, we hear shouting.

"Uhh," he blankly looks back at me, but I just shrug.

I start digging into my small purse to pull out my keys, when the door forcefully opens. Standing there with a packed duffle bag, is Nate.

"No! Please don't go!" Alex screams behind him and he winces. He turns around to face her, and I notice her red eyes and streaming tears. Is he crying too? What is happening?

"Please," she whispers.

He slowly brings his hand up to her face and delicately wipes a couple tears away. She holds her breath and doesn't move an inch. He looks like he's going to kiss her and James quietly gasps beside me. But Nate drops his hand and pushes his way past us.

"Wait," Alex elbows through us to run after him towards the elevators. Wow, her legs are working magically well now...

We turn and watch them go, screaming at each other the whole way. Chris comes through the door next and stands between us. All we can do is watch the screaming match as they continue their fight in the hallway.

"They do this all the time," Chris says sadly. "Give them five more minutes then tell them to get out of the hall. They'll both come back."

He disappears back into the bathroom, and I can hear Rae puking her guts out from here.

I awkwardly turn to James, who has a shocked and paled expression on his face.

"So, this is me." I try to joke and he winces at the yelling behind us.