CHAPTER SIX

The next morning, I wake up early despite purposely enrolling in mid-morning classes so I could sleep in. I shower and wash my hair, before parting it down the middle to braid both sides back and out of my face. I love my long hair, but I need it out of my face today.

I focus on my schedule I printed out the night before. Room number, textbook, professor.

I study the information like it would be on my first quiz. Man, I'm nervous?

At around 8:30 I hear Alex and Nate wake up, because there was someone making noise in the bathroom and in the kitchen at the same time.

I quickly weave a bandana around my head, and take my old jean jacket out of the closet and slide into it. Stepping in front of my full-length mirror, I snap an outfit of the day selfie to my sister before heading out into the kitchen.

"Morning," I call out to both of them, as whoever it is has come out of the bathroom.

"Hey, you're looking good for so early in the morning." Alex tells me. She has one of the worst cases of bed head I have ever seen. I don't actually know how someone can get their hair to stick up like that.

"Well, I'm a little nervous." I admit and grab a banana. My stomach has too many butterflies to eat anything more.

"Can't relate," she replies and does a zombie walk back to her bed after grabbing her now full cereal bowl from Nate.

"She's not a morning person," he whispers with a small smile, before following her and shutting the door behind them.

I eat my banana quickly in my room, before grabbing my backpack and heaving it over my shoulder. It was about nine, and I didn't have class until ten, but I wanted to get an early start and time how long it would take to get to my classroom each morning.

I left without seeing them again, but in all honesty, Alex had probably gone back to sleep. I turn around to lock the main door, and as I slide my keys in the door, a familiar voice bounces down the hallway.

"Hey, Tara," James calls as he walks towards me, probably also on his way to the elevator.

I smile at him. "Hey, James."

He was wearing a dark red t-shirt and jeans, without his signature khaki shorts. I have to admit, it was weird seeing him in anything else at this point.

"You going to class right now, too?" he asks and stops beside me. I could tell he was looking at me while I fidget with my keys. I squirm under his gaze.

"Yeah, I want to get there early to find it and everything." I casually reply, hoping to not sound like too much of a nerd.

He smiles. "That's smart."

We start walking for the elevator together. "So, where are you headed? I can maybe help you out if I've taken that class before."

"Uhh.." my mind blanks out. All that studying of my schedule, and as soon as a boy asks me about it, I forget everything.

"Sociology with Hoffman, I think," I finally reply only fairly certain.

"Hoffman." He thinks for a moment and we step inside. "Tough, but fair. Also likes to go off the curriculum a bit and teach things that you'll use in real life."

"What do you mean?" I ask, and he just shakes his head.

"You'll know what I mean."

We walked across campus together in silence. The fall leaves and the bright sun surround me in a dreamlike state. The wind picks up and I tuck my hands in my pockets and my chin in my collar. It's beautiful here.