ONE

Friday 11:54 pm

They were at a new club & lounge on Admiralty road, Toyin didn't even bother with the name she just followed Sofi as usual. Too many bars open and close down these days, she couldn't keep up TBH.

She sat alone at the empty bar section getting extra cocktails because she wanted to get wasted real quick. Her friends were back at the semi-VIP lounge. The bar was owned by one of Sofi's many friends so they had no problem getting in or getting a nice table since the owner personally reserved it for them.

She was on her second glass of wine when a guy in a t-shirt, jeans, face cap and pam sandals took the bar stool next to hers and pulled out one of the menus on the golden display rack. Most of the metal furniture was gold on black base. A new trend that has swept across Lagos bars, restaurants and even boutiques. She likes the theme, but it was well on its way to becoming a décor cliché. These interior designers need to get more creative and original abeg. She thought to herself as she took another sip of her wine.

"Excuse me" The guy called the bartender over. She wondered how he got in dressed like a bus conductor. "Flaming sazerac" He said, the bartender nodded then moved to the back.

She raised her brows and silently chuckled. This one wants to kill himself . She doesnt't know much about alcohol, but she was pretty sure 'sazerac' was something lethal. Even from the name sef. You know....like cognac.

She tried to get Sofi's attention so they could telepathically gossip about him. She looked over at her friends but they looked like they were in a heated debate. She knew it was about that stupid miniseries on Netflix that is basically glorified porn. She doesnt care about it tbh. If she wanted to watch porn she'd watch real porn not porn with bad plot. 

Like why are they even bantering over the plot? the main focus of the series is the sex!. She gave up on trying to get Sofi's attention as she drank up the remaining wine in her glass.

The Bartender noticed because he left the drink he was mixing for 'bus conductor guy' to replace her empty glass with the Cosmopolitan she ordered.

She still couldn't believe she ended things with Femi. She wasted 13 months of her life working on a relationship that led to nothing! She wasn't even heartbroken about the break up; just pissed and what pisses her off the most about this breakup is that the relationship was a chore!

It was horrible, it was hard, forced and she was not herself because she was originally paraded as a potential wife to him by the Church Aunty that match made them. She walked on eggshells the whole time and she stomached all that nonsense just because her mind was formatted to find a spouse and settle down ASAP no matter what.

You see the thing is, Toyin and her friends have since given up on love or romance because they believe Nigerian men are just not cut out for it. They had seen and heard so many sad stories plus their own little experiences so her expectations were very low and she was willing to just go with anything as long as the suitor is a 'God fearing' and 'Responsible' Man.

She didn't care about love. She had received her fair share of heartbreaks to know by now that 'doing love' with these Yoruba....actually Nigerian demons is tantamount to setting yourself up for some real mental health issues in the future.

But her latest Ex, Femi was a different breed entirely. She laughed out this time. Just thinking about it made her mad that she was willing to compromise on everything just to get a ring.

She felt like a hypocrite because 5 years ago she would have criticized women who did the same. She was very disappointed that she let the pressure from her Mother, Aunties and Church members get to her.

She stroked the rim of the cocktail glass as if it was some sophisticated equipment in a sci-fi movie. To be fair though that glass was her most important tool in that moment. Her French manicure matched the pretty pink liquid in the glass begging her to take a sip already.

"You shouldn't drink wine and vodka-based cocktails on the same night" Bus conductor guy said absent-mindedly without looking up from his phone. She stopped rubbing the glass then looked at his face inquisitively in mild disbelief because she knew a random stranger wasn't about to get in her business.

He looked up from his phone and added firmly "It'll fuck you up in the morning"

She scoffed at him when she confirmed he was really talking to her. Seriously she was sick of men telling her how to live or breathe. She wanted to go off on him but she remembered she was supposed to be having a good time plus, the guy looked chill and was having a good time himself. Allowing herself to be pissed by this guy will just ruin her whole vibe tonight. So she decided to dismiss him with a mild clap back instead. The Bartender arrived with his order.

"Says the guy who's about to shoot flaming liquor" She sneered.

He laughed weakly and raised one of the shot glasses on his tray in her direction "Touché" he said before shooting the drink without flinching.

This one must be a pro she thought as she watched him with keen interest. Is his throat made of Iron? Doesn't it burn? 

He slammed the glass back on its tray then turned towards her with his eyes shut, the veins on his forehead popped out from the pressure on his face, she could see his thick full lashes through the thick lenses of his glasses because it magnified his eyes which indicates he is longsighted. He opened his eyes as the drink went down, in a totally unrelated tangent she felt jealous of those lashes mehhhn.

"Rough day!" He picked up the second glass analyzing its contents like he didn't know what it was already. "What about you?"

URGH! she didn't come here to talk to anyone she just wanted some space to think why couldn't he see that. But she answered him anyway. She should have ignored him the first time.

"Same. Rough week actually" Is she rally chatting with this guy? Must be the alcohol!

He lifted the glass up "To better days then!" He downed it like the first one this time he almost winced. "Weeks..... to better weeks and years" he added with a smile.

She couldn't believe she just clinked her glass with this weird guy who wore t-shirt and 'pams' to a club on the Island but it felt good because it distracted her from her issues.

The DJ started playing a song she likes and she started moving a little. He noticed. "Do you want to dance?" He asked as he stood up.

"No! no! I am terrible at dancing" She is not a good dancer especially in public but the man was already reaching for her hand.

He bent towards her, pushed her braids behind her ears and said "No one will notice, they are all drunk!" His breath was hot in her ears and his lips delicately grazed her earlobe. On a normal day she would have recoiled from such an invasion but she made an exception for him. Told herself he probably did it because the music was too loud.

For some reason she liked his energy. He didn't talk too much but his few lines spoke volumes. She in fact decided to be like this guy who didn't give a fuck about anyone or his appearance and was there to get wasted just like her! They might have different mindsets and disagree on fashion or choice of liquor but tonight they shared the same priorities. So she stood up. And my dear people, that was how Toyin entered this one chance!

AN: Your votes are like ink to my (imaginary) pen so don't forget to vote. Thanks :)

Also feel free to roast my writing....respectfully that is.