23 - Truth behind past acts

The air inside the imperial study room couldn't be more heavy and dark. Even so, General Huang Fei Hong is having fun watching the emperor's gloomy face.

It's been two weeks since Wu Zhang Wei left Xiu Ying's room that morning. He hoped that if he acted like he was hurt by Xiu Ying's act, the latter will come and apologize or maybe comfort him. But, he calculates it wrong.

Xiu Ying didn't care about him at all. Wu Zhang Wei asked Guo Wei and Chang Ming did Xiu Ying acted a bit differently, staring in a daze or maybe talking about him. Guo Wei and Chang Ming just shake their heads.

Guo Wei and Chang Ming said Xiu Ying even looked happier as he thinks he already found what caused Concubine's Wen headache and he even has prepared the cure for it.

Wu Zhang Wei feels happy when he heard that Xiu Ying has found the poison and has the antidote but then he turns sullen again.

'So, I'm lost to poison and its medicine?' He snorts.

"Stop being egoistic. If you miss him, just go to him," Fei Hong who can no longer watch his frowning friend finally said.

"B- But shouldn't he feel a litttttt- le bit guilty for pushing me away like that? I cared for him and is that how he should repay me?" Zhang Wei whines.

Fei Hong rolls his eyes. "Then, when you pushed him away before, avoiding him like a plague when he tried to care for you, don't you think about his feelings?"

Wu Zhang Wei fell speechless.

Fei Hong sighs. "Want me to help you?" Zhang Wei squints his eyes.

"I can help to improve your image in his eyes. Who knows when he heard about what you tried to do for him from someone else's mouth, he'll change his perception about you." Fei Hong shrugs his shoulders.

Zhang Wei stares at the great general and smirks, "Don't you think I don't know that you're not really want to help me. You just want to disturb that little servant of my consort, aren't you?"

"Wh- what are you talking about?" Fei Hong stutters.

"When we went to meet Xiu Ying, I saw your eyes stealing a glance at Xiu Ying's servant. Staring a hole at his face. And you think I didn't know, sometimes you secretly went near Zhongcui Palace and pretend to 'accidentally' bump into him. Now you want to fool me?"

Both of them start the staring competition. Fei Hong breaks the silence with a chuckle. "Well, at least he didn't openly reject me. He didn't PUSH ME AWAY when I tried to help him carry something."

Looking at the emperor clenches his fist and grits his teeth. Fei Hong laughs out loud then quickly exits the imperial study room. He feels satisfied when he gets to annoy Wu Zhang Wei.

Some part of Fei Hong feels that Zhang Wei deserves to be treated like that because of what he did in the past. But another part of him thought that Zhang Wei is still immature in love. He had been strictly trained since he was a child.

When the previous emperor was still alive, he can never live a carefree life. He didn't get to feel his father's love. He can only meet his imperial mother once a week. Other days are filled with sword training, horse-riding training, martial arts training, and study.

Only after his imperial father has died, he can spend more time with his imperial mother and sister. But being an emperor had trained him to be strict and emotionless. He had watched how his father's concubines tried so hard to get rid of his imperial mother but luckily his imperial mother is not easy to be trampled on.

That is why Zhang Wei always goes against the idea of having a harem. When he met with the old Xiu Ying, he hated him so much for using Prime Minister Li to invite himself into the harem. Old Xiu Ying who always tried to get close to him, visited him, prepared desserts and snacks for him, acting like he cared for him makes Zhang Wei despise him.