Chapter _16_

Kaylee's POV:

I returned to my apartment late that evening. The darkness that enveloped the rooms was so pleasant, while only a beam of colorful city lights came from the window. I turned on the table lamp and with one deep exhale stuck my face in my hands. My mind was clouded and I wondered, how is it that whenever we get what we want, and in my case it was promotion to partner and complete independence, something has to come in between, this time it was Noah.

From the glorious moment in my office, I was no longer able to complete any of the jobs that awaited me that day. I was so immersed in the psycho analysis of my life that I had neither the will nor the strength for anything else.

After a whole day of brainstorming what to do next, I made a decision. Maybe it wasn't the best, maybe it wasn't the most correct - but the decision was mine. All in all, there are no winners here, either my heart or my mind is at a loss. This time, the decision prevailed in favor of comon sense.

I have struggled for so long to pull myself out of my parents 'controversial life that I must not allow one lust to stop me from realizing my potential and the life I believed I deserved.

I made the decision to avoid, forget, erase the existence of his character from my life at all costs. The decision is final and irrevocable.

The only thing that somewhat fluttered in my subconscious and made me feel uneasy was that I did not know why he came to our company today and had a meeting, which I, as a law firms partner, did not attend.  ‚‚Did not attend‚,- no one hasnt even  informed me about it! It was so weird and I was bothered by the potential content of that meeting. It has never happened before that the partners and leaders of the company are not announced the arrival, let alone holding a meeting with top clients.

For unknown reasons, a cold shiver rumbled through my body. Looks like I'll find out the reason soon.

I was startled from my daydreaming by the piercing sound of my phone ringing and the vibrations in my purse. I expected Freya or even Dean to call me.

When I saw the caller, my eyes screamed in horror and my whole body froze under the rush of  adrenaline. Why him? Why now?

Reluctantly, I answered and slowly brought the phone to my ear. Anger, fear, aggression, helplessness awoke in me. All at once and swirling like a tornado threatening to tear down the walls of my seemingly perfect life.

"I didn't expect your call."

There was only a chill in my voice.

"You know I wouldn't call you if it weren't about  a matter of an extremely sensitive nature"

He said calmly, so calmly and without a shred of emotion that I was afraid of what he might say.

"Is mother okay, did something happen to her?"

"If you had called Evelynn, you would have known she was fine. But of course, no one here seems worthy of a sinless one like you. "

"Cut it short and tell me why you called me."

"As I said a moment ago, it is a matter of an extremely sensitive nature, and it concerns the future of you and your whole family. We need to continue this conversation in private. Of course, if you have even the slightest sympathy for the people who raised you, despite some of your moral principles. "

In a millisecond, a million scenarios were projected in my head. I had to make a decision quickly. One more. Crucial. Today. The very thought of seeing the face of my father, mother and brother once aroused mixed feelings in me.

"The day after tomorrow, at 3pm at Uncle Donald's old restaurant."

I dropped words that fell from my lips as hard as medieval shackles.

"It's not safe for me or anyone in our family to come to New York. That is exactly what it is about. I'm expecting you on the first flight to Los Angeles. I don't think there is any need to emphasize once again that the matter is very sensitive and that on the way here you should think about how much you actually care about people who are close to you. . . for example, your mother. "

With those last words, he ended the conversation and left me on the other side of the line - completely dumb, disoriented and pale.

Why whenever we think that we have passed all levels of the game, there is always a bonus level that is impossible to pass. It is not the winner who has reached the end no matter what, the winner is the one who has preserved common sense and heart in spite of everything that has found him on that path.

The movie started unfolding in my head. From the innocent memories of my childhood, the childhood games with my brother to the dirty and monstrous secrets of my father. Not just my father, my whole family. I missed my mother. Although she was also involved in the whole story, I found out that she also resisted and struggled at the beginning but she simply relented because the opponent on the other side was far more powerful. Mafia.

After certain twist of events, I could no longer bear the burden of such a life, as well as the fact that someone instead of me made a decision about the way I should live. I ran away. Leaving behind a life stained with blood, weapons and fear.

A wicked smile flashed across my face when I remembered Noah. I seem to have attracted him into my life like a magnet, precisely because I tried so hard to reject all things like him.And just when I thought I had made the right decision and wanted to get him out of my life completely and put an end to the ‚‚Godfather‚‚ chapter in my life - another "Vito Corleone" decided to barge in. My father.

I closed my eyes and squeezed my eyelids hard, so damn hard, wanting to prevent the oncoming tears from staying in their place.

"Good evening, I would like to book a ticket for the first flight to Los Angeles."