Chapter _40_

Kaylee's POV:

I woke up during the night, my eyes getting used to the darkness around me. Half-naked Noah slept peacefully beside me. Before going to bed, he asked me if I wanted to sleep in the same room with him, if I was uncomfortable, he would move to the guest room.

I just nodded to him. The doctor said I had to be surrounded by familiar things. If his closeness means I'll regain my memory faster, then so be it. Although I can say that I didn't mind being next to me at all. I even enjoyed it.

I stared at the man next to me. He lay on his stomach, the muscles of his back looking tense and stretched indefinitely, while his arms were raised next to his head and under his pillow.

He told me that when I feel ready, he is there to answer all my questions.

But what questions should I ask him if I have no idea about our lives?

I got out of bed and put on a robe that was over the back of the chair. I slowly slipped out of the room and headed down the stairs.

I was greeted by a lovely open-space living room with an even more wonderful view of the neon light coming from the pool. I walked to the balcony door, caressing with my fingers everything in my path, memorizing every object and smell I could sense.

I opened the balcony door and the cool night air flooded me. It was so refreshing, even though I was shivering under a thin, silky cloth.

I decided I needed to talk to Noah tomorrow when we wake up and to begin with something.

"A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step"

I went back to bed and silently lay next to him. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life.

I was awakened by stirring and hustling of the sheets. Noah woke up and sat on the edge of the bed, speechless looking out the large window through which a new day was brewing.

When he noticed that I woke up, he turned slowly towards me.

"Good morning, Kaylee."

"Good morning, Noah."

We smiled politely at each other, He opened his mouth to say something, but then he closed them and ran his hand through his wild, morning hairstyle. Without looking, he began to get up.

"I'd like to spend time with you today and get to know each other better. Let's talk a little bit later."

The corners of his lips curled into a smile.

"Of course, I'd love to."

''Thanks.''

He went to the walk-in closet and I headed for the bathroom. I took off my clothes and went to the shower. Hot water was falling down my face And not long after that a cloud of steam surrounded me.

Suddenly I felt a sharp pain in the back of my head and then a stabbing pain all over my forehead.

I closed my eyes tightly, facing the sudden pain.

As visions at times, images passed through my head. Sighs echoed in my ears.

After a few moments I couldn't remember what I saw, but I caressed my cheek and lips with my palms, because the sensation started from there. I shook my head and quickly finished my bath.

Down in the kitchen, Noah was waiting for me, dressed in a suit. He was making coffee.

I approached him and climbed into a high chair. He gently slid a cup of coffee next to me.

''Thanks. I guess this was our morning routine. . . shared coffee in the morning. ''

He smiled, spilling his pearly smile in front of me. That made me retaliate with the same measure.

'' Well it's not really like that. We had some other morning routine, but we'll start with some simpler things. Like coffee, for example. "

He winked at me and took a sip of his coffee, smiling secretly.

In an instant, my cheeks lit up at the thought of what he meant by another morning routine, so I quickly brought the coffee to my mouth and took some croissant that was on the plate next to me.

''Tasteful. Hmmm ''

I said, didn't want to look him in the eyes and deviate from the topic.

"I have to go to work to finish some very important things with some congressmen, so I will come in two hours at the latest. Then you have me all to yourself. "

I blushed again. Oh God, why does his every word make me feel at uneasy?

"Are you working in government?"

"I will put a veto on that question and leave this topic for later. It's a little more complicated to explain, let's go slowly, one step at a time. "

I was confused and frowned. What is my job then?

He bypassed the marble island and stopped next to me. He laughed at me and kissed my hair.

'' See you later Kay. I'll be back soon. "

''Bye.''

What story does this man have to tell me?