Chapter 25

In the evening Ethan stepped out of his motel room with determination and a concrete decision in his mind as he walked in the direction of his mate's pack

In the evening Ethan stepped out of his motel room with determination and a concrete decision in his mind as he walked in the direction of his mate's pack. The pack territory almost seemed to blend with the human civilization. He walked past a diner, a grocery store, a pharmacy; pretty normal for any other human being. But there was a clear distinction that could only be seen by someone who was aware of the existence of the supernatural.

Ethan walked, observing his surroundings and noticing the school that was filled with both werewolves and humans. He tuned out the teenage chatter that floated around and walked into the woods that acted as a border to the territory. Aubrey was waiting for him near the entrance. As soon as he was in sight, she ran up to him and engulfed him while letting out a childish chuckle.

"I'm so happy to finally see you here!"

Ethan stood stiff for a moment before tenderly moving back to look at her face.

"I'm glad to see you too, Aubrey. Everybody is looking," he said, noticing some of the eyes fixed on them.

She quickly moved away from him, finally realizing that they were in a public place, surrounded by numerous spectators. Clearing her throat and pushing a lock of hair behind her ear, she said, "my father wants to see you. We shouldn't keep him waiting."

As they walked through the territory, Ethan noticed how developed the pack was, slightly resembling the infrastructure of the human society. All the enormous wooden houses, with floor-to-ceiling glass walls, were surrounded by tall trees. They looked modern, yet grounded to nature. Aubrey and Ethan reached the house that belonged to the Alpha of the pack, Aubrey's father. Surprisingly, the house didn't seem as lavish as the others. It was an average house with minimal decor but it seemed to have deep roots that connected it with every member of the pack.

The two of them walked from inside the house to the backyard where her father was waiting for them.

"Dad," she called out to him while descending the three steps. The Alpha turned around to look at them. "I'd like you to meet Ethan, my mate," she said with a grin on her face.

"Hello, sir." Ethan expressed a curt nod in acknowledgment. "It's nice to meet you."

"Hello, Ethan," Alpha Auro said with a slight smile on his face. "Aubrey dear, would you give us a minute?"

Aubrey looked from him to Ethan. Nervously, she said, "sure, father," wondering what he wanted to talk about as she walked back inside the house.
Once she was out of sight, the Alpha's smile dropped. Looking at Ethan, he said, "we have been patiently waiting for you. It does make me wonder what took so long." His tone remained professional.

"My apologies, sir. I had some personal business to take care of," Ethan replied.

The Alpha stood with his back to Ethan, looking at the setting sun on the horizon.