Chapter 27

Ethan and Aubrey walked back to her house, and as soon as they stepped into the living room, she wasted no time and hugged him from the back

Ethan and Aubrey walked back to her house, and as soon as they stepped into the living room, she wasted no time and hugged him from the back. She started kissing his neck, slowly moving to his cheek and to his jaw. He stood still for a second, letting her have her way, but when she attempted to take off his shirt, he finally pushed her away.

Caught by surprise and shock, her eyes widened as she yelled, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"I can't do this," he said tiredly.

The look of surprise slowly faded from her face, and she sighed. "Are you nervous?" She asked, moving closer to him and caressing his cheek. "Is this your first time? I'm just as nervous as you are. I have never done this either, and I wouldn't do it with anyone else. It's just that I can't resist you anymore."
"It's not that. I can't do this anymore." He said, gesturing between him and her with his hand.

"I don't understand. What's the problem? I thought you liked me."

"I certainly liked the idea of you, but you didn't turn out how I had painted you to be," he said.

"And how is that my fault?" Her voice was laced with betrayal.

"It's not. It's mine," He said, deciding to leave. "It's my fault. I'm sorry."

"No." She grabbed his arm, trying to stop him from leaving. "I don't understand you. We're mates. If you stay with me you'll get status; you will get all the power that you desire. Everyone in the pack will work beneath you. And most of all, you are getting me. I don't understand your reasons." A tear slipped out of her eye. "If you're worried about your family and the fact that you can't turn into a werewolf, then you have nothing to worry about. Dino will help you, and once you're able to turn, he'll enhance your strength with magic."

"I'm getting you?" he said in a mocking tone. "You are not a commodity that can be given, Aubrey. And, enhance my strength?" He said with disgust. "By feeding children to me, you mean."

"Vampires," she said as a matter of fact. "They are vampires, not children. Vampires are our enemies. I don't see any harm in what we do."

"Really? You think you do nothing wrong by killing children every month?" He asked rhetorically.

She stayed silent, staring at his face, not believing what was happening.

"Have you? Have you "enhanced your strength?" Ethan asked.

She closed her eyes to compose herself and took a deep breath before saying, "I get the idea that you are against our methods, but it is nothing new. Our ancestors have been doing it for ages, and you cannot blame me for partaking in a ritual."

"No. I can't blame you. I can only blame myself for ever thinking that I could be with you." He said. "I can't do this anymore."

"And I still don't understand why, what are your reasons?" she asked desperately.