1 | Rain

CATALINA

CATALINA

There was something about the rain that filled me with such childish wonder. My attempts at containing my excitement was something I simply wasn't able to subdue.

I was positive that my consistent fascination with the sky tears was something that others found mildly annoying. And despite my co-workers vexation with my antics, I couldn't bring myself to genuinely care. Is that mean?

Simply, I enjoyed the rain because it felt like every time I stood under the droplets, they would wash away the pain and the memories, allowing them to cascade down my body and be absorbed by the earth.

"Stop jumping in the puddles, you're going to slip. Get back inside," Nix sighed with a bored tone. This may or may not be the seventh time he's had to tell me to stop playing in the rain.

A frown took over my smile as I hurried my way back inside the garage of the auto shop I worked at. "It's a beautiful day, don't you wanna go dance outside?"

"Look at the amount of rain out, it's anything but a beautiful day, panda." Nix had a knack for calling me panda for no apparent reason. I thought it was cute yet also unfitting how he treated me to the name of such a cute animal.

Rainy days made me feel less lonely. It was satisfying to know that the copious amount of tears falling from the sky resembled the inside of my mind. And thinking about how the rain, something seen as depressing and gloomy, could actually bless the earth in a myriad of ways, allowing for growth and rebirth.

Nix tilted his head to the side, beckoning me over to the super car that sat in the center of the repair shop. "You're going to help me fix this baby up," he grinned and laid himself under the car.

"What's wrong with it?" Nix and I were basically car doctors. We fixed them with our magic tools and sent them off to their owners where they would be loved and taken care of. It's a sweet job.

"The exhaust needs repairing before the race tonight." He rolled himself from under the car and looked back at me with a toothy grin. He loved to fix cars, it was a cute passion of his that I adored. "Can you braid my hair before we start?"

My eyes widened and I eagerly nodded. "Did you bring the jam for your hair?"

"In my bag, i'll grab it real quick."

As he went off to grab the products, I squealed in my spot. I loved it when he asked me to do his hair, it made me feel special that he trusted me enough.

"C'mere panda, we've got to get goin'."

Nix took a seat on the ground and I moved behind him, allowing myself to stand over his seated position. "Why're you sweating? Are you sick?" I tugged at the sleeve of my hoodie and wiped the droplets of sweat that sat on the dark skin of his forehead, off.