Chapter 6

The guards quickly took the emperor to his room, followed by Luana, Gardner and Doctor Cross. Once there, they laid him down on his bed.

The doctor sat down next to him and began to examine him. Then, he made him drink a potion that was preserved in a small bottle that he took out of his satchel.

Luana stayed close to her father, holding his hand with a look of shock and concern on her face.

The doctor picked up his utensils and stood up. Luana did the same.

"I-Is he okay, Doctor ?" she asked, trembling.

"It was a close call, Your Highness," he said gravely.

"W-what do you mean ?" she asked again, worried.

"Well, he must be very lucky that we were able to save him in time. This could've been the last. I gave him a little tonic that will help him a lot," he replied seriously.

"This time ? The last ? Why ? How many times has this happened ?" she asked, confused.

"Well-"

Suddenly, the bedroom's door was thrown open revealing Angus who came running, accompanied by his son, Eric.

He walked quickly to the emperor's bed.

"Arthur ! Arthur, my friend !" he called worriedly.

"Don't worry, Your Grace. His Majesty's condition has improved now. We have escaped the worst," reassured the doctor.

The duke sighed in relief.

"Thank you, God. I really thought this was the last time," he whispered.

"What do you mean by last time ?" asked the princess again.

The duke and the doctor looked at each other and stayed silent.

"Has this happened before ?"

The two men looked at each other again.

"So it has," she concluded, trembling.

"Your Highness-" Angus began.

"Lu... Luana..." the emperor whispered weekly.

Luana rushed over to him.

"Dad !" she exclaimed, holding his hand.

"L-Luana..." he whispered again, slowly opening his eyes.

"I'm here, Dad. Don't worry," she replied, smiling affectionately at him.

"My daughter... I... I'm so happy... to be able to see your pretty face... again..." he whispered, stroking her cheek with his trembling hand.

"Don't force yourself to talk, Dad. Don't worry. You'll be healed soon," she reassured.

"I... I feel... so tired..."

"Get some rest. I'll leave you with Gardner and Eric. They'll watch over you until I come back, okay ?" she said, stroking his cheek.

Arthur nodded softly and closed his eyes to sleep again.

Luana gave him a small kiss on the forehead before leaving the room.

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

Luana sat down on her father's desk chair, in his office, facing Duke Lobelia and Doctor Cross.

"Can you explain to me what's going on ?" she asked.

After a little moment of silence, it was Angus who answered.

"Listen, Your Highness. We wanted to tell you about this. But, your father forbids us from doing so."