We Come To A Land Down Under

3:50pm

Tuesday, 9 August 1995

Just outside the Australasian Dragon Preserve, Australia

.

He tried. Really, he did. He knew what he was supposed to do; after all, not only had both Remus and Sirius been instructing him all day but he'd also experienced it twice already that day. And this time should have been easier, being the shortest of the three trips.

But, despite his attempts, he failed. Spectacularly.

Harry felt his body being flung forward as the portkey released him. His arms and legs flailed about as he tried to stop himself only for him to taste dirt and grass as he landed face first and skidded to a stop.

"That's your worst landing yet!" Sirius barked with laughter.

Spitting out the last of the grass, Harry glared around and up.

"Really, Harry, it's quite simple," Remus added, not even appearing to hide the broad grin on his face. "Keep your legs moving when you feel the portkey approaching its destination and you'll stay on your feet.

"Easy for you to say," Harry groused. "I think magical travel just hates me."

"You did fine between England and Romania," Sirius commented. "Maybe you just need more practice."

Harry speared him with as loathsome a look as he could manage as he climbed to his feet. It was only then that he noticed that the three of them weren't alone. Nor were the other two the only ones seemingly amused by his less-than-graceful landing.

"G'day. Welcome to the Australasian Dragon Preserve. I'm guessing you're Harry Potter? And you two are Sirius Black and Remus Lupin," the man said. "Charlie Weasley, good ta see ya again."

Harry gave the man a once over as Charlie stepped forward and shook the offered hand.

He was a small man, much shorter than any of the other three there and wiry. But even with that, he gave off a feeling of strength, as though his sim build, thinning grey-streaked black hair and dark leathery skin was but a façade that most people would be fooled by.

"Guys," Charlie said, turning back to look at them. "Meet Andrew Wululu."

"Call me Andy," he said.

"Nice to meet you," Sirius said. "How do you two know each other?"

"I did a stint over in Romania a few years back as part of my Mastery," Andy replied, slapping Charlie on his shoulder. "Guess it's your turn now, hey?"

"I guess it is at that," Charlie grinned. "Although I'm mainly here with Harry."

Andy's coal-black eyes settled on Harry then and he had an urge to shudder at their intensity.

"I've been hearing stories about you, Harry Potter. 'Speaker' they call you."

"That's what the dragons call me," Harry shrugged. "At least the ones in Romania. I haven't met any dragons from any other Reserve so I'm not sure what they'll think of me."

"You've got that Mark," Andy said, nodding at Harry's forehead. "I'm betting that'll give you all the 'in' that you need."

"Besides, you can talk to dragons, Harry," Sirius said, clapping him on the shoulder. "You'll be right."

"Why did you need me to come? Is something wrong with the dragons here?" Harry asked.

"That's for tomorrow. Let's get you lot settled and grab some grub," Andy said. "Here. Put these on."