What Did You Do?

8:15am

Monday, 8 August 1995

Romanian Dragon Reserve, Romania

.

There was something different. Daphne wasn't sure what it was but she knew it was there. Instinctively, she slowed her pace, her eyes flitting about the Dragon Reserve. No one was running. At least, not quite. But there was definitely a quickened pace to everyone that she saw.

There, a group of four Handlers were striding towards the tree line that marked the bottom of the hill. Another two walked past, their heads bent together, their speech – although not quite understood – was definitely fast. Three flew in low from just over her left shoulder and she ducked, glaring up at them even though there hadn't been any possibility of collision. The fact that all three seemed to keep moving just as fast on the ground, their brooms now in their hands as they had been in the air, indicated that they were in a hurry.

Yes, Daphne was sure of it. Something was going on. Or had gone on or ... or something. Whatever it was gave a taste of excitement, not danger, which only increased Daphne's curiosity.

But this early in the morning? She shook her head before turning to ask her father's opinion. She blinked at finding that he was no longer walking beside her. Where her own steps had faltered to the point where she'd nearly stopped, his had only lengthened.

With a huff, Daphne stomped off after him. At least he was easy to find – his broad shoulders in the deep grey cloak was more than halfway to the Big Hall and getting further away with every step but for all that, very easy to see.

Lengthening her own strides meant that she was able to enter the Hall not long after him. The sight of a pair of Handlers all but running at the door had her quickly sidling alongside the wall out of the way.

Here, too, that same air of urgency prevailed. There was movement everywhere, people shifting between the tables or talking animatedly amongst themselves or unexpectedly running off after being given some instruction.

No, she amended, her eyes coming to rest on the end of the far table.

A smaller body was sitting there, hunched over so that his messy dark hair was resting on his arms. There was a blanket draped over him that all but obscured him but still, Daphne knew who it was. She'd know him anywhere.

Her eyes stayed focussed on him even as she weaved her way between the tables and around bodies. Within minutes, she was sliding onto the bench beside him.

His eyes were closed, one cheek scrunched up on his bare arms. Daphne started. Bare arms? Why wasn't he wearing a shirt?

"Harry?" she said gently, letting her hand rest softly on his near side before sliding up his back and around him to curve over his far shoulder.

"Hmm, that feels nice," he murmured even without opening his eyes. "You better be careful my girlfriend doesn't catch you doing that."

"Girlfriend, huh?" Daphne replied, unable to hide the smile that instantly blossomed on her face. "I hadn't heard that you'd actually asked anyone to be your 'girlfriend' yet."

One eye popped open and Daphne gasped. It was bloodshot and there were deep black circles under it.

"Harry? What's happened? Are you alright?" she asked, forgetting what she really wanted to talk about in her worry for him.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," he replied.

She shifted slightly as he pushed himself upright, a massive yawn escaping him. His arms stretched right out and she swore that she could hear his back popping as he arched backwards.