How Long?

Disclaimer – I solemnly swear that JKR owns everything Harry Potter. Whether or not I am up to no good with her characters is for you to decide.

/ ( 0 v 0 ) \

Harry Potter: Dragon Whisperer

Chapter 29 – How Long?

9:12am

Thursday, 26 August 1995

Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, United Kingdom

.

The-Boy-Who-Returned
by Rita Skeeter

Yes, my dear readers, you have read that right. Our own Harry Potter has returned to Britain.

Daily Prophet columnist, Harry Potter, was seen yesterday afternoon walking through the Ministry of Magic. Accompanying him were Lord Sirius Black, Dragon Handler Charlie Weasley and Remus Lupin, a close friend of Harry's parents. While the party did not stop to engage the public, they were seen going into the Department for Control of Magical Creatures. It is speculated that their intended destination was the newly formed sub-Department for the Regulation and Monitoring of the Dragons of Great Britain.

As we are all aware, Harry Potter can talk to dragons and, as he himself has espoused in his columns, they have even allowed him to ride on their backs. It is understood that the dragons themselves have seen how special Harry is by giving him a unique status among them. It is thought that these facts, combined with the Ministry forming our own dragon reserve is what prompted Harry to return.

Unknown at this time is whether this is a brief visit or if, indeed, Harry and Weasley have returned to our shores indefinitely to help the Ministry's newest project succeed.

---

Albus Dumbledore dropped the paper to his desk and spun around in his chair to stare out the window. A slight smile appeared under his beard even as his eyes began twinkling.

Harry was back in England! Dumbledore couldn't be happier!

Of course, the article left much to be desired. There were too many questions left unanswered, most likely due to the fact that it was a late edition to the paper; indeed, the article itself had been almost buried on page five.

But with Harry back in England, Dumbledore saw an opportunity. He needed to get close to Harry and explain a few home truths to the boy. And this time, this time, Harry would understand and comply.

Dumbledore could see it now. Harry arriving back on the train on September first, finally wearing his Hogwarts robes – red and gold piping for Gryffindor, nothing less would be suitable. He'd begin his regular classes and, once settled, Dumbledore would take young Harry under his wing for extra classes. He'd teach the boy just enough of what he needed to know. And then, when that far off day came when Tom returned, Harry would be there, standing in the breach, with Dumbledore right behind him, ready to cast the final spell that would ultimately see Dumbledore's own flame burning brighter than ever in not just magical Britain, but in the entire world!

Dumbledore revelled in what he was sure was to come for long enough to have his tea go cold. A single tap of his wand to the cup remedied that inconvenience when he turned back to his desk. Quickly drinking it, he rose. There was work to do and a boy that needed to be found and brought to where he belonged.

/ ( 0 v 0 ) \

9:17am

Thursday, 26 August 1995