Unexpected Meetings

Disclaimer – I solemnly swear that JKR owns everything Harry Potter. Whether or not I am up to no good with her characters is for you to decide.

/ ( 0 v 0 ) \

Harry Potter: Dragon Whisperer

Chapter 30 – Unexpected Meetings

2:25pm

Thursday, 26 August 1995

Papa Stour, Shetland Islands, Scotland

.

"The dragons are welcoming four dragons to the weyr!"

"Four?" Charlie asked, a look of confusion on his face. "Who?"

Harry, though, hadn't even waited for the question. Pulling his Nimbus from his pocket, he resized it with a wave of his hand, barely even registering the shocked gasp that that elicited from the three who'd never seen him do wandless magic and rocketed into the air.

A hundred metres into the air was enough for him to see that a mass of black and green bodies had also taken flight. Noticing that every head was facing the one direction, Harry swung his own broom around before shooting off in the right direction.

It took barely no time at all before he caught up to the tail end of the massed dragons. His approach had obviously been noted for wings tipped to either side and a hole was opened for him. Calling his thanks, Harry raced through, his eyes searching for the incoming dragons.

And then he saw them.

The green hide of Farlys led them, her wings outstretched as she soared on the wind. To her right was a dragon that Harry knew better than any other: Ramaranth. On Farlys' left was a dragon with a deep, grey hide: Grouleth. And slightly behind and to the side of Grouleth, flew another dragon with black hide, a Norwegian Ridgeback, if Harry wasn't mistaken, although he didn't know the dragon's identity.

§Speaker§!

Ramaranth's excited bellow had Harry grinning and laughing.

§Hi, Ramaranth§! he shouted back before quickly greeting the rest of the dragons. §Welcome home Farlys! Hi Grouleth! Welcome to the Dragon Weyr of Great Britain§!

As the four dragons flew close, Harry allowed his broom to stall before he used gravity to spin him completely around. When he 'reactivated' the broom's magic, it was so that he could shoot straight up and around Ramaranth, looping her before finally settling in between her and Farlys.

§Where is the best place for us to rest our wings, Speaker§? Ramaranth asked.

Harry's initial thought was somewhere on the deserted end of the island, but then he had a better idea.

§Follow me§! he called before accelerating away.

As he raced back over the shoreline, he looked back. There was Ramaranth and the other three, only a dragon length behind him and behind them, flew the rest of the weyr. For a split second, Harry second-guessed himself.

What reaction would this garner? he wondered before shrugging. And then he decided, if they couldn't handle it, then they had no business starting this weyr.

He knew the moment that they were seen. Both Sirius and Remus with their better eyesight threw up their arms, pointing at what Harry was sure was an incredibly impressive aerial display. Glancing back, he saw that not a single dragon faltered or fell out of pattern, keeping perfectly behind him.

Wanting to show off a little, Harry took the flight of dragons in a great circle above the buildings and the six people below before gesturing downwards. Obediently, the dragons followed him down. Most of the dragons settled on crags or grassland around them, making sure to leave plenty of space between them and the humans. Two Hibernian Blacks – Myrddys and Bremlys – settled closer, very close to where Farlys and the Norwegian Ridgeback landed. Ramaranth and Grouleth landed right beside Harry, their wings almost overlapping him as though they were protecting him.