The Beginnings of Plans

Disclaimer – I solemnly swear that JKR owns everything Harry Potter. Whether or not I am up to no good with her characters is for you to decide.

/ ( 0 v 0 ) \

Harry Potter: Dragon Whisperer

Chapter 31 – The Beginnings of Plans

9:45am

Friday, 27 August 1995

Ministry of Magic, London, England

.

He felt the stares from the moment that he stepped out of Floo into the Atrium (without stumbling). It had been bad enough the first time that he was there. Hogsmeade wasn't much better. Both of those times, though, he'd had an advantage – people to cover him, provide a buffer. This time was different.

Sirius had insisted that him coming to the Ministry by himself was a bad idea; Remus had insisted back that Harry was a man, an adult and quite capable of standing up for himself. He'd sided with Remus but was now having second thoughts.

Everywhere he looked, it was to see people stopped in their tracks, every eye trained on him, many whispering to their neighbours. Part of him wanted to know what they were thinking, what they were saying. Was it because he was The-Boy-Who-Lived? Or maybe because he could speak to dragons? More than likely, it was because he'd rebutted Fudge's claims and now everyone knew that he wasn't planning to stay in England, that this was just a brief visit.

Whatever the reason for those stares and whispers, there was nothing to be done about it. Fleetingly, he entertained the thought of how these people would react if he had Ramaranth at his back. The amusement was enough to get him moving again.

Squaring his shoulders, Harry strode forward. At the Check In Point, he had his wand registered and then he was off, angled for the lifts.

And still those damn people stared!

As much as he tried to keep his eyes forward, he couldn't help but notice them. He wished that they'd stop!

Surely there's something else more interesting to look at? he thought as he strode alongside the Fountain of Magical Brethren.

The sound of the water falling caught his attention and he glanced to see the water shooting from the witch and wizard's wands, the ears of the house elf, the goblin's hat and the centaur's bow. All that water gave him an idea.

Slowing his walk, he focussed inward, gathering his magic into its customary ball in his chest. As soon as he was content with its power and shape, he opened a small 'hole' and directed his magic towards the water.

Coen had been teaching him finesse but for this, he thought the bigger, the messier, the wetter the better. Harry sent his magic into the pool of water at the bottom of the fountain and let it spread out around the sides and then he pushed. Instantly, the water started swirling. Around and around, faster and faster, until a great whirlpool began forming. As he knew that he should, Harry extended his magic up from the sides of the fountain, holding the water in shape as a tornado of water quickly engulfed the magical statues.

People everywhere gasped and cried out in surprise and fright. He saw them glancing around, looking for who or what was responsible, the one who'd have their wand trained on the statue and the water, before their eyes snapped back to the watery sight before them. Some stepped closer, most backed away.

And then Harry simply let go.

Without his magic holding its shape, the water plummeted down, hitting the marble floor with a loud crash! Water splashed back up, spraying every which way before rushing out and away. Those closest were instantly drenched. Others began running, attempting to keep their shoes and robes from getting soaked. Some remained stock-still, letting the water fall on them in their incomprehension.