Chapter 24

Apologies, this chapter is unedited.
The lazy author went off binge reading (curse you Naruto fan fics!) when the author realised it, TEN days had passed.

****

A few meters away from the Lu's dinning table, separated by a mud and bamboo fence, a little chubby faced boy wiped the snot from his nose and sniffed the air.

The distinct fragrance of barbequed meat came from over the wall. The boy did not know a lot of delicious foods, but the scent of meat was a whole other matter. Boiled meat, fried meat, roasted meat, meat dumplings...anything that had meat, this child could recall the scent. After all, he liked meat a lot. Whenever the family ate meat, the little boy was the happiest.

Roasted meat was the most unique. It had a warm, meaty fragrance that teased the taste buds to start watering.

Unknown to the Lu family, when they heated the food from the restaurant and served it, the hot meat released a new gush of aroma, announcing itself boldly to the surroundings.

The child swallowed as he sniffed in the tantalising fragrance. His belly grumbled in response, wanting to taste.

"Mama!" the boy's shrill voice called out as he ran into the house. "Mama, I want to eat!"

When the boy got to her side, Su Jiaojiao patted her son's head with a bright smile. "XiaoBo is hungry? Don't worry, mama is going to cook now."

Her son, Lu Bo, was the centre of her world and her joy. Whatever he wanted, Su Jiaojiao would immediately find a way to give it to him. If she couldn't, she would bother her child's father, Lu Jian, till he would sort out a way to satisfy her child.

Lu Bo's peach-shaped eyes narrowed in dissatisfaction. He slapped away his mother's hand and pointed to the next yard, the Lu family yard, and said, "I want to eat meat. They are eating meat over there, I want it!"

"Meat?" Su Jiaojiao looked towards the direction he pointed doubtfully. "How could they be eating meat?"

Su Jiaojiao did not believe her husband's family could afford meat. The Lu family was always running from one debt to the other. They lived by borrowing money to survive today, only to spend tomorrow hustling to pay back, then the next day, they borrowed again. The Lu family barely had enough to eat, buying meat was out of their means.

Su Jiaojiao laughed and pinched her son's soft cheeks. "XiaoBo must be craving for meat. Those people can't even bribe the rats in their house to stay. They can't afford meat. Don't worry, I will talk to your father, he will buy you meat when he comes home next. How about we tell him about those canned sausages you like?"

Lu Bo pouted at her. "They definitely are eating meat. I smelt it."

"You smelt meat?" Su Jiaojiao crunched her brows and tried to ponder why her son could smell meat coming from those people's house.

Lu Bo tugged his mother's clothes. "Mama, let's go. I want to eat before it is finished!"

Su Jiaojiao clicked her tongue at her son and walked outside. She wrinkled her nose but smelled nothing. Lu Bo tugged her hand and pulled her to the side of the fence where he stood earlier.

After sniffing for a while, a whiff of meaty fragrance tickled her nostrils. Su Jiaojiao raised her brows in surprise and slapped her thigh. "These people are really eating meat. How come?"

Lu Bo huffed at his mother in indignation, planting his hands on his waist like a little overlord. "I told you but you didn't believe me!"

"How come?" Su Jiaojiao said in disbelief.